Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgg_gaikwad
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

What is scrambling & Why to Use it....

Please give me one simple example

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Scramble will change your column values into some different values, suppose for example if you have 100 in Sales it converts into 98 or 76 or any number randomly.  If you have text field like country (USA) then it converted to some other text like abdce etc.  It is useful when you are attaching in community so that the original values are changed or if you are giving demo to some other clients then this feature will come handy.  Generally companies won't share data to others as such so the scrambling is done.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
senarath
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

Pls see below.

http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2014/03/14/scrambling-data

One use of this is when presenting confidential or proprietary information to outside people.

thanx

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Scramble will change your column values into some different values, suppose for example if you have 100 in Sales it converts into 98 or 76 or any number randomly.  If you have text field like country (USA) then it converted to some other text like abdce etc.  It is useful when you are attaching in community so that the original values are changed or if you are giving demo to some other clients then this feature will come handy.  Generally companies won't share data to others as such so the scrambling is done.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi,

have a look at below post too. One such example.

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-1290

Regards

ASHFAQ

Not applicable

Hi Jagan,

If I am not wrong. Are the Scramble function is decrepting the value from the outsider?.

Thanks

SD

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

We are encryting the values from outsiders.

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable

Hi Jagan,

Sorry, It is slip of my words. I mean encryting only i.e. masking the value.

Regard

SD

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Yes. It will encrypt into some other values.

Regards,

Jagan.

sgg_gaikwad
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi Jagan,

Thanks for the Reply,  Can you please tell me...

1 ) How many ways are there for Scrambling

2) When We Reload our application all the  Scrambling will get removed is there any way to avoid this...?

Regards,

Swapnil

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Method 1: Settings -> Document Properties -> Scrambling -> Select Fields and click on Scramble button.

Method 2: Use AutoNumber(), AutoNumberHash128(), AutoNumberHash256() for numeric fields and Has128(), Hash256() and Hash160() for string fields, this you need to use this in script like below

LOAD

AutoNumber(Sales) AS Sales,

Hash256(Customer) AS Customer

FROM DataSource;

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.