Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Figuring out different parts of QlikView (software and licenses)

I'm going to install QlikView, but before doing so, I would like to get a clearer overview of the different parts in the setup.

After looking at different posts in the community and browsing different documents among others the QlikView manual, I'm still not sure I get the correct view on things.

I have already downloaded the QlikView personal edition. I also have a development license key.

Determine the software to use:
I see 4 different applications:
1) QlikView personal edition
2) QlikView (bought license)
3) QlikView server
4) QlikView publisher

I understand that the publisher is something separately license.

But what is the difference of 1-3. Of cause the personal edition is limited, but software wise? Is it the same software to be installed the license key entered being the one making the difference? Especially the QlikView server I'm having trouble distinguish from the QlikView itself.

I'm not able to find any download of applications beside the Personal edition. If not the same as the QlikView itself, then how to get the software?

Determine the license I have:
(I have not handled the retrieval of the license myself, otherwise below might have been more clear to me…)
Is there more than one type of licenses?
The developer license key I have how can that be used? I have read about CAL licenses, and from that my understanding is that I got one of those? Or do I get 10 for each developer license?

9 Replies
mike_garcia
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hello, and welcome to QlikView!

I will do my best trying to poin out the differences between the software and licences.

LeneAndersen wrote:Determine the software to use:
I see 4 different applications:
1) QlikView personal edition
2) QlikView (bought license)
3) QlikView server
4) QlikView publisher

1) QlikView Personal Edition is a full featured package, which means you can start developing powerful applications, connecting to different sources via ODBC, OLE DB or Flat Files like Excel, txt, etc. The only restrictions are:

- You can not open applications developed in another machine (except the Demos included in the installation package). At the same time, if someone else wants to open the applications you develop and they only have QlikView Personal Edition, they will not be able to do so.

* Still, I believe you have the chance of 5 "exceptions" to the rule. which means you can open 5 different applications from other developers before the software is completely restricted.

2) QlikView (bought license) is the same as the above mentioned but without the restriction I pointed out.

3) QlikView Server is used to make the applications you develop available to users via web. This requires an additional license, which will determine how many CALs (Client Access License) will be available and what type of CALs you have (Named User CALs, Document CALs, Session CALs). There are two editions of the QlikView Server: Small Business Edition wich supports up to 25 CALs and Enterprise Edition, with unlimited CALs.

4) QlikView Publisher is used (with an additional license) to support large distribution tasks of reports, such as PDF Reports, that do not require the user to have a license, via mail. Also it helps you manage the tasks to be run in the server.

LeneAndersen wrote:I'm not able to find any download of applications beside the Personal edition. If not the same as the QlikView itself, then how to get the software?

Yo can go to www.qlik.com/download and, after log on, you can choose the files you want to download (Installation packages, documentation, etc)

Hope this helps. Happy Qliking!

Mike.

Miguel García
Qlik Expert, Author and Trainer
Not applicable
Author

Thank you very much for you detailed answer 🙂

I have some additional questions now - using the same terms as previous.

1) When i go to the download section you mention, I'm only able to see some pdf's and other non application items.
Then i click the 'preferred language' = English and i get the 'QlikView Desktop'
I assuem this mean that only registrered users, which actually have bought a server license see this download or?

2) Does it make sencse only to buy the server license - meaning is it possible to design the BI using that, or is the QlikView (bought license) required for that?

3) Is it only possible to publish to the users via web using the server? Put in other words, is it possible to publish anything only using the QlikView (bought license).

4) If i make some applications with the personal edition. Is it then possible to have that opened on a version with a bought licence, and then published on a server?
This could be the case if i start out trying the personal version and then install a bought version later on on another pc and dont want to throw away any application made.

mike_garcia
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

LeneAndersen wrote:1) When i go to the download section you mention, I'm only able to see some pdf's and other non application items.
Then i click the 'preferred language' = English and i get the 'QlikView Desktop'
I assuem this mean that only registrered users, which actually have bought a server license see this download or?

I don't think it has anything to do with the license.

If you are a registered user (which you are, since you posted this question on QlikCommunity), you should be able to see this page:

I can't think of a reason why you would be able to see it.

LeneAndersen wrote:2) Does it make sencse only to buy the server license - meaning is it possible to design the BI using that, or is the QlikView (bought license) required for that?

Since you bought a Server License, you can use a User CAL to convert the Personal Edition into a Licensed version. This is done via File > Open in Server. The you point to the server where you have the applications (which can be demos) and open any of those applications. Then you would have a "Leased" license, which will give you full rights for a certain period of time (don't really know if it is 30, 60 or 90 days).

LeneAndersen wrote:3) Is it only possible to publish to the users via web using the server? Put in other words, is it possible to publish anything only using the QlikView (bought license).

In order for the applications to be available via a web browser you need the Server.

LeneAndersen wrote:4) If i make some applications with the personal edition. Is it then possible to have that opened on a version with a bought licence, and then published on a server?

It certainly is possible.

Cheers.

Miguel García
mike_garcia
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

EDIT: About the downloads page, I meant: I can't think of a reason why you would NOT be able to see it.

Miguel García
Not applicable
Author

When i fill in the url you mentioned in IE the url changes to http://global.qlik.com/download/
And here i only get the options:

Then i choose the english language to the left and get:

You write "Since you bought a server license". I never mentioned to have done that. I wrote "Developer license". Are you saying that in a developer license there also is a QlikView (bought license) and a server license?

And what do you mean by 'Leased" license. Why did you bring that up? That confused me a bit...

Also I'm not sure

mike_garcia
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I'm sorry to have confused you a bit. Let me clarify:

LeneAndersen wrote:You write "Since you bought a server license". I never mentioned to have done that. I wrote "Developer license". Are you saying that in a developer license there also is a QlikView (bought license) and a server license?

I meant "Since you bought a server license" in a hypothetical way. Maybe it was better to write "If you buy a Server License".

LeneAndersen wrote:And what do you mean by 'Leased" license. Why did you bring that up? That confused me a bit...

That is how it is called in QlikView. This is stated in the QlikView Server Reference Manual:

A leased license is used by clients who connect to QlikView Server and are allowed to borrow a license to open the downloaded server document for 30 days.

About the downloads page, I'm sorry I can not help you any further. I get a different screen. Maybe someone else knows how to solve the issue.

Hope it is clear now.

Mike.

Miguel García
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Mike for all the answers 🙂 that helped me alot to get a better idea of it all.

Not applicable
Author

Hi

Not applicable
Author

Hi Friends ,

Thanks for such useful discussion .

Bhushan N