Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thomas_Hopp
Employee
Employee

Some clarification around the 32-Bit & 64-Bit usage with Qlik Sense

Hello everyone,

many of you are posting questions about this topic and I thought I will summarize this topic once again in order to make sure that everyone has the same understanding.

There are two different versions of Qlik Sense:

1. Qlik Sense Desktop
  2. Qlik Sense (including the Server Version)

Qlik Sense Desktop has been released last week and is only possible to use on a Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1 in a 64-Bit Version. Qlik Sense will be released later this year with the ability to use Server based development. The Client is exactly the same as on all of your devices and supported browsers but of course you will be able to connect to your Server environment with a 64-Bit or 32-Bit browser from a 64-Bit or 32-Bit Client and develop / use your apps from here.

Below you can find a link with all supported browsers that you can use in order to connect your Client to the Server.

http://betahelp.qliktech.com/0.95/en-US/online/index.html#../Subsystems/QlikView_Installation_Guide/...

I hope this helps and please keep your questions coming.

Thomas

Thomas Hopp
Senior Product Manager - Cloud Native Platform
4 Replies
Not applicable

Hi Thomas,

let me ask you a silly question please.

I wanted to install QlikSense Desktop (64 bits) thru a VM under Windows 7

But My PC is 32 bits  and I guess this will not be good. Am I right ?

So how can I achieve QlikSense desktop installation over such environment?

Bet regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

It *may* be possible to install a 64 bit VM on a 32 bit host.

If your underlying processor is 64 bit, and your host OS is just 32 bit, then as long as your processor supports the right extensions it should be possible.

You can check using this from VMware

VMware 64 bit checker

Bjorn_Wedbratt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Christian,

Most hypervisors to my knowledge supports running 64-bit VMs, if your host hardware supports VT-64. This regardless if the host OS is 32-bit or not. I.e. it is possible to run a 64-bit VM in for example VMWare Workstation installed on Windows 7 32-bit as long as the hardware supports VT-64.

To check your hardware you can run various tools from the vendor, WMI-scripts, google the model etc. You also (in most cases) need to activate 64-bit support in the BIOS. Again check with your hardware vendor on how to do this as it varies depending on BIOS.

If your hardware does not support VT-64, i.e. it's a 32-bit CPU or an old 64-bit CPU, there's no good way of running 64-bit applications in a VM. Although a hypervisor like QEMU do allow you to emulate a 64-bit VM on a 32-bit CPU performance wouldn't be good and I would certainly not recommend going that route except for experimenting

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

I have updated this information in a new post Some clarification around the 32-Bit & 64-Bit usage with Qlik Sense. and Included resources for 32 Bit users.