Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Button actions from QV 8.5 to QV9

Hi all,

We had a request to create a menu for the charts in a document that would have the feel of hyperlinks. In QlikView 8.5 we used a macro that checked the number of charts vs number of buttons and if different re-created the buttons on the "Menu" sheet. How can I do this in QV9 using Actions?

Here is the QV 8.5 macro:

Sub CreateButtons
'delete all buttons on AnalysisCharts sheet
set s=ActiveDocument.Sheets("AnalysisCharts")
buttons=s.GetButtons
for i=lbound(buttons) to ubound(buttons)
if right(buttons(i).GetObjectID,3) > 300 then buttons(i).Close
next

'create button for each entry in charts tablebox for ChartButtons table
set ButtonTable = ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject( "TB06" )
btncntr = ButtonTable.GetRowCount - 1

rem create new shortcut button - clear except locked
lastposTop = 300
lastposLeft = 1100
for btncntr = 1 to ButtonTable.GetRowCount - 1
set newbutton = s.CreateButton
set prop = newbutton.GetProperties
'set button text = cntr & chart name
prop.Text.v = btncntr & ". " & ButtonTable.GetCell(btncntr,2).text
prop.Type = 2
prop.BtnStyle = 0
prop.Macro = "ShowChart"
prop.BkgAlpha = 0
prop.TextColor.PrimaryCol.Col = RGB(64,128,128)
set fr = prop.Frame
fr.ObjectId = ButtonTable.GetCell(btncntr,0).text
fr.Font.Bold = true
fr.Font.AntiAlias = 1
set pos = fr.Rect
pos.Height = 35
pos.Width = 225
pos.Top = lastposTop + 100
pos.Left = lastposLeft
if pos.Top = 1300 then
lastposTop = 300
lastposLeft = pos.Left + 1100
else
lastposTop = pos.Top
end if
newbutton.SetProperties prop
next
End Sub

The above bold lines show lines with obsolete properties.

Thanks!
Shanikia

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Well I decided to get around this by manually creating one button and using the CreateObjectFromXMLPropertiesFile to create the rest.

I know everyone is against macros, so if there are any suggestions ]for a menu of charts that can be dynamically maintained, please let me know!

Shanikia.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I just create a field, like "Chart". I give it values of all the titles of my charts. Each chart has a condition for display, like Chart='Revenue Trend'. If you create a list box for the Chart field, that is at least fairly close to the feel of hyperlinks, even if the coloration isn't the same.

Moving away from the feel of hyperlinks, you could put a single-field multi-box up where the title should be, so that it serves both as the title of the chart and as a drop down for selecting the chart to display. More room on the screen for the charts themselves, slightly harder to select a specific chart since it takes two clicks instead of one.

A similar option would be to create a new field for each chart, put the fields in a cyclic group at the top of the page as the title, and use display conditions like getcurrentfield(Chart)='Revenue Trend'. That gives you the ability to go to the next chart with a single click if that's desirable.

We've done a pretty good job of getting our users to accept the way that QlikView does things. They don't insist on duplicating things they're more familiar with, like hyperlinks (unless I'm hyperlinking to an external document of some sort). I understand that not everyone is so lucky in regards to their users, and may be forced to make QlikView look and feel like some other product. But if possible, I think you'll save yourself trouble in the long run by making QlikView simply look and feel like QlikView instead of a web browser, Excel, Power Point, or whatever your users are used to.

I suppose my suggestion falls flat in that it is NOT dynamically maintained from the existing charts, and instead requires a manual data entry and a reload to link to a new chart. I haven't found that much of a problem in practice, but perhaps it would be in your case.

Not applicable
Author

If we want to replicate the same behavior as prop.Macro and prop.Type = 2 in QV 9, any idea what the new member function are?

I am trying to do this in a vbs script.

Thanks,

P