Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can an extension object have JUST dimensions?

I am making an extension object and for some reason I don't get any data unless I add a measurement in my definition.xml. Here is my file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ExtensionObject Label="NarrativeInput" description="Narrative Input" PageHeight="100000">
  <Dimension Label="Element ID" Initial="ElemID" TargetName="Element ID"/>
  <Dimension Label="Element Name" Initial="WbsNumDesc" TargetName="Element Name"/>
  <Dimension Label="Period ID" Initial="PeriodID" TargetName="Period ID"/>
  <Measurement Label="Expression - Set as sum(1)" Initial="sum(1)"/>
  <Text Label="WSWebSvc Url" Type="Text" Expression="" Initial="vWSWebSvcURL"/>
  <Initiate Name="Caption.Font.Italic" Value="1"/>
  <Initiate Name="Caption.Text" value="Narrative Input"/>
</ExtensionObject>

This gets me 13 rows of data (what I expect. But when I delete the Measurement from my file I always get 0 rows.

I would expect the deletion of the measurement to have no effect. Isn't it just a dummy column? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefan_Walther
Employee
Employee

Hi,

no, you need the measure, but what you can do is to modify the .qvpp file then the user will not see that a measure is required.

Regards

Stefan

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

Yes, extensions are basically straight tables so they require a measure.  There's been times where I add a measure and just set it to "=1" or something like that to get the data.

Not applicable
Author

Ok, so the answer is no, they can't have JUST dimensions, they require a measure?

Why is that? I mean I can run an SQL statement and just get back a straight table of results, I don't need to add a dummy column, so why do I need to add one for a table in QlikView to work?

I just ask because these extensions will be going out to clients and I want to know how to answer the inevitable question of what the dummy measurement is there for.

Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

Yes, that's right.

In terms of WHY it is this way, I'm not sure.

Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

I think there's a way you could set this measure without the user seeing that you're doing so.  So they'd only see the dimension.  Let me check into this, I've seen it before.

Not applicable
Author

That would be awesome. Thanks.

Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

Stefan Walther I feel like you've done this before where you hide the measure.  Am I wrong?

Stefan_Walther
Employee
Employee

Hi,

no, you need the measure, but what you can do is to modify the .qvpp file then the user will not see that a measure is required.

Regards

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Awesome! That's just the answer I'm looking for.

Now why don't you two help crack my last remaining issue? http://community.qlik.com/message/601281