Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quiquehm
Contributor III
Contributor III

Daily excel file dataset loading to QlikView - How to set load ranges & Changed Data Capture

I wondered if you could give me some help on the following : I need to load multiple excel sheets daily into Qview , so I plan to use the files naming convention as :

YYYYMMDD-cost.xls ; YYYYMMDD-hrs.xls ; YYYYMMDD-revenue.xls ; ....etc

Being YYYYMMDD ( YearMonthDate ). I would need to tell the Qlikview script to load all these files, but just from certain ranges , like :

20100101 to 20100131 ( so, all days in January )
20100201 to 20100228 ( all days in February )
20100301 to 20100331 ( all days in March )...
......and so on , till December
The problem is the only options I found in the help menu are two control sentences :
For...next
For each ...next
I can´t figure out how to write the script using any of those 2 sentences ( as the filenames will be arranged in these ranges , instead of a continuos list ) , I want Qlikview not to waste time trying to read files like 20100132, 20100133 ...etc ( they will not exist ). I know the set ErrorMode=0 will allow this ( the script will skip those without stopping ) ..but still the script will waste time on that. I would appreciate if you could give me some help on this or direct me to any existing forum post , whitepaper ...etc that could help me.
Also does anybody know how to setup Qview to do Changed Data Capture prior to data loading ? Ideally I would need to setup the load script for these daily files in the best possible efficient way , so Qview does not waste time loading unchanged data from the previous data set ( a day older ). I would like Qview to load only new or changed data. I plan to trend data over time using these daily files loading.
Appreciate any advice
Thanks a lot

//Multiple files load, file names : YYYYMMDD-hrs.xls

Directory

for ii= 20100101 to 20100131

hrs:

set

LOAD

'DS'

&$(ii) as Dataset,

[Proj. def.]

as Project_Nr,

...etc

ErrorMode=0; D:\00-OC Projects Dashboard\DataSets\hrs_CN47N;
2 Replies
michael_anthony
Creator II
Creator II

The For Each ... Next function let QV cycle through a file list and action those that meet the criteria.

If you define a variable, eg LoadYearMonth as 201003 etc and use this you can limit to finding files with your date range.

Let LoadYearMonth = '201003'

for each myFileName in filelist (..yourpath....&'\' & '$(LoadYearMonth)' & '*.xls)

Load ... FROM '$(myFileName)'
next File

If your already loading you'll be able to fill in the correct formats etc for reading Excel. The reference manual also has doco on For Each.. Next

quiquehm
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the advice Michael. In fact I haven´t tried it yet , as my first approach was to create a calendar table and then I simply used the For Each ...Next function . I copied all dates from the Calendar table and pasted them in the Load script . I am not sure this is an efficient way for Qview ...but for me it was the easiest to setup ( and so far it works ). Unfortunately I am still on the learning curve using Qview, and discover new things every day .

My script is as follows :

//Multiple files load, file naming : YYYYMMDD-hrs.xls

Directory

D:\00-OC Projects Dashboard\DataSets;

for each ii in 20090810,20090811,20090812,20090813,20090814,20090815,20090816,20090817,20090818,20090819,20090820, //....all Year dates from Calendar

hrs:

set

ErrorMode=0;

LOAD

$(ii)

as DataSet,

[Proj. def.]

as Project_Nr,

[WBS element]

as WBS,

[Activity desc.]

as Activity,

Work

as Plan_hrs,

[Work (A)]

as Actual_hrs,

RemainWrk

as Remain_hrs

FROM

[$(ii)-hrs.xls](biff, embedded labels, table is Sheet1$)

where

Work+[Work (A)] > 1;

// Work >0 OR [Work (A)]>0; ii