Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Installation of Qlik Sense Desktop on VDI

In our environment Business Users access their software via a VDI instance.  Most of these users are running 32 bit Windows machines.  I understand this is an issue already discussed on here and from feedback from my User Community.

2 Questions

1. Can we install Qlik Sense Desktop on our VDI Image?

2. If we can will it not work on the users machine because they are running 32 bit machines?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Andy - I had some brief discussions with PM, though the environment should technically work like this, (as each user will have their own directory (the user folder used by Qlik Sense Desktop will stay the same because I assume you will do a setup where the user profile will be generated based on a template) - however, it is not designed to function in this manner nor does it have a centralized repository for storage and sharing of resources, etc.

In that case, it is recommended that you use the full Qlik Sense platform to deploy a mulit-user environment such as this.

Here are a list of new videos that cover the Qlik Sense full platform:

New to Qlik Sense Platform Videos

Regards,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

As you mentioned yourself already, QlikSense will not install on a 32bit OS. A 64bit image of the client's VDI will allow QlikSense to install and run, but any 32bit version won't.

If I understand your request correctly:

1. Can we install Qlik Sense Desktop on our VDI Image? [Yes, if they are 64bit]

2. If we can will it not work on the users machine because they are running 32 bit machines? [It will NOT work on any 32bit instance.]

/Sonja

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Andy - quick question - do the users - SHARE the same VDI image?

Users access their software via a VDI instance

Is the VDI image running on a single machine?

I'm just trying to understand the deployment strategy.

Qlik Sense Desktop - is designed to be installed on individual workstations that support Windows 64-bit operating systems, regardless if the O/S is running on VMware / VirtualBox - etc. Are you saying the VDI image is a 64-bit Guest image, running on a 32-bit Host operating system? (Which I am not even sure if that is possible)

Can you clarify?

Thanks

Mike T

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II
Author

We have a single image.  A new session is started each time a user logs on.  Other images can be created but these would be role driven.

I believe at the moment the OS on the current image is 32 bit but could be changed.  I'm not sure myself if it would be possible but could we have an Image with a 64 bit OS running on the 32 bit machine as the physical machine is in effect a dumb terminal providing a gateway to the users actual environment.   

I have our VDI guys checking if this is possible.  I'm just wondering in principle would Qlik Sense have any issues with being installed on a shared image with a 64 bit Windows OS.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Andy - I'm checking into this for you:

I'm just wondering in principle would Qlik Sense have any issues with being installed on a shared image with a 64 bit Windows OS.

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II
Author

Any news on this mike?

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Andy - yes - just woke up on the new day of our product launch!!

I have some information, in this regard I'll post it here shortly!

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II
Author

Congratulations it has the makings of a great product.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Andy - I had some brief discussions with PM, though the environment should technically work like this, (as each user will have their own directory (the user folder used by Qlik Sense Desktop will stay the same because I assume you will do a setup where the user profile will be generated based on a template) - however, it is not designed to function in this manner nor does it have a centralized repository for storage and sharing of resources, etc.

In that case, it is recommended that you use the full Qlik Sense platform to deploy a mulit-user environment such as this.

Here are a list of new videos that cover the Qlik Sense full platform:

New to Qlik Sense Platform Videos

Regards,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
kunalsingh
Contributor
Contributor

does it mean setting up single/multi-node QlikSense server infrastructure.
If yes, is there a specific QlikSense server installer for VDI environment.