Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Developers POV - Comparison (QV vs Qlik Sense)

Hello,

Now, while Qlik Sense 1.0.0 is officially available, I would like to know, from a developer's point-of-view (POV) a comparative analysis what are possible and not possible between QlikView and Qlik Sense. Please note, I am aware of : view-or-sense. I am looking for something that tells something like:

AreaQlikViewQlik SenseRemarks
Set AnalysisYES?
MacroYES

?

GroupYES?
Alternate StateYES?
TriggerYES?
Something ....NOYES

This could be from experience or an official document. Also note, visual presentation/user-experience differences are known.

Thank you.

12 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Jagan - don't have a definitive reference but for what you mentioned here are my comments:

What about Section Access -> NO in Desktop, YES in Server

Pivot Table  ->  Not today but there is an extension object in branch.qlik.com that is very cool. I expect something on the roadmap soon but not sure

Any new charts in QlikSense ->  YES ! THE MAP ! YAY ! 

Variables & Buttons to show and hide objects -> Variables can be set in the load script and valid in expressions. Show/Hide conditions not today. Perhaps roadmap.  Buttons not today.  Extension exist for all already i believe

Qlikview Workbench and Sharepoint webparts will work in Qliksense?  I believe the new Qlik Sense mashup API will help for workbench situations. Not sure about the sharepoint web part.

Can we use existing Qlikview Server Licenses for QlikSense? ->  This is a discussion point with your account manager. They will need to reconfigure the licenses for you.

Do we need to lease license from QlikSense server for Qliksense desktop or any other methods?  NO ! The sense desktop is completely free . YAY !   Its a FREEMIUM model.  Even the Qlik Cloud is free for up to 5 users.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Jonathan,

This is what I expected.  Thanks for clarification.

Regards,

Jagan.

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

So I think there is some confusion around webparts. If you are running a old version of sharepoint, pre-2013, we had a webparts plugin for QlikView.

If you are running a update version of Sharepoint then integration between QV and SP is handled through the QV apis. We do however ship you some proxies out of the box to avoid multi-hop authentication issues (which you also had with webparts).

So, QlikView and Qlik Sense integrates in the same way with Sharepoint using standard web technologies.