Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Document CAL Assignment

I am relatively new to Qlickview and have a question regarding CAL assignment as seen via the EMC.

I checked the CAL allocation/assignment for a document which was 14 CALs allocated, 1 CAL assigned.

I then started an Qlikview Accesspoint connection via IE 7.0, logged in with one of the valid logins.

I checked the CAL allocation/assignment again for the same document and of course still had 14 CALs allocated, and now 2 CALs assigned (one being the account I just logged on with) which is what I expected.

I then closed the Accesspoint IE 7.0 browser that I logged on with and checked the CAL allocation/assignment again, and it still shows 2 CALs being assigned (one being the account I just logged off) . It has now been about 30 minutes and it still shows the 2 CALs being assigned.

Can anyone explain this to me? When does the CAL become 'unassigned'? Its not that I want to use this CAL to login as some other user so its not a matter of quarantine and waiting 24 hours, I want to be able to login again as the same user and not be assigned a 2nd CAL for the same user.

Thanks,

Terry Noel

noel@tccsa.net or 330-264-6047

9 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Terry,

The way QVS assigns CALs, if you have both Named User CALs and Document CALs, it will assign all the Named CALs before it assigns Document CALs. When a Named CAL is assigned, it will remain assigned to that user for 30 days unless you delete it in the QEMC. If you do not want Named CALs to be assigned to a document (i.e. so that it will only use Document CALs), you should disable dynamic CAL assignment in QEMC. Also, don't worry about getting 2 Named CALs for the same user--this is impossible.

Hope this helps,

Not applicable
Author

Vlad, thanks, this does help. Cool Via QEMC I disabled dynamic CAL assignment and added the one and only named user that can access the particular document. When I login as that user and open the document I am now getting a 'Windows Internet Explorer" message that states "Failed to open document for unknown reasons". Any idea what may be causing this message?Hmm

Thanks,

Terry

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Go to your AccessPoint page and see what username it recognizes you as (should be in the top-right corner). Then specify the user in exactly this format, and see if that fixes your problem. You might need a restart of the QV services, not sure.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Vlad, the username in the top right-hand corner is 'USDKV\cps'. I logged on as that and after clicking on the document I get a 2nd LOGIN box, not the standard Qlikview Login box. If I enter the same credentials and password there I just continue to get the login box repeated. If I Cancel, I get 'Failed to open document, you don't have access to the server'. There has been no changes to the user or security on the server.

Thanks,

Terry

Not applicable
Author

Hi Terry, are you using section access in the document perhaps?

-Lukas

Not applicable
Author

Lukas, I am indeed using section access, our vendor help set this up. In particular we use it to secure data based on the contact's organization matching the helpdesk request's organization. The contact file is an excel file maintained by me and does include the contact that I have been having problems with. The request file is a CSV file that is created via a Crystal Report Server job nightly.

Thanks,

Terry

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Terry, could you post some screenshots?

Not applicable
Author

Hello Vlad Gutkovsky,

Seems you are very much familiar in displaying the .qvw document in web. Can you please help me out here.

http://community.qlik.com/forums/t/27279.aspx

http://community.qlik.com/forums/t/27172.aspx

Thanks in advance,

Rikab

Not applicable
Author

Vlad, since you asked for screen shots, the user have the problem has not experienced it. If he does I will post screen shots.

Thanks,

Terry