cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klaus_feldam
Creator II
Creator II

Automatic Reload of QVW Stopped working - Stops at "Start saving document"

We have a QVW, which has stopped reloading automatically.

The job normally takes 1 minute to run and has been running every 20 minutes for a long while (months).

A manual reload of the QVW works fine and we have found no apparent error messages in any of our log files.

The last entries, however in the Tasklog (DistributionService) are

"Reload finished successfully

Start saving document".

It never finished the save and close tasks.

The only error message that we can see in our Event Log is:

300ErrorShared: Error on ReadBlob for object of type MetaServiceData, user: , id:

Could that be related to what we are seeing?

Any ideas of what may be going on?

Version information (Please note that we are NOT using Publisher):

Product Information

Product name QMS Backend Core x64

Client Build Number 11.20.12451.0

Target Platform x64

Publisher License Key No License

Service authentication AD groups

Machine Information

Computer Name

Operating System Version Win32_OperatingSystem=@ X64 (Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1)

.NET Version 4.0.30319.18444

Physical Memory 31249Mb

Available Memory 25836Mb

CPU Information

CPU 0 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50GHz

CPU 1 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50GHz

CPU 2 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50GHz

CPU 3 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50GHz

ReloadEngine

Product Information

Product name QlikView Distribution Service x64

Client Build Number 11.20.12451.0

Target Platform x64

Machine Information

Computer Name

Operating System Version Win32_OperatingSystem=@ X64 (Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1)

.NET Version 4.0.30319.18444

Physical Memory 31249Mb

Available Memory 25836Mb

CPU Information

CPU 0 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50GHz

CPU 1 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50GHz

CPU 2 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50GHz

CPU 3 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50GHz

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
klaus_feldam
Creator II
Creator II
Author

It seems like I have found a workaround.

The issue seems to be around the use of the 'Concatenate" formula.

Although this script has been running for months (every 20 minutes) without any issues, and still works fine when you run the reload manually, the automatic reload stops approx. 90% through the concatenating of historic QVDs with today's data.

We would basically update data from today from 10 different SQL database tables every 20 minutes and concatenate with last night's QVD of the full historic table. See script sample below:

Concatenate (CarrierTable)

Load

From D:\QlikView\SourceDocuments\QVD\CarrierTable.qvd(QVD)

I have now set the QVD historic data load to run several times per day to combine current and historic data.

The main script has been changed to pull directly from the QVDs and not concatenate today's data and historic data.

Ideal, no. Simplified, yes.

More importantly, it works.

Still hoping that Qlik Principal Engineers can help explain 1) why the concatenate script stopped working during an automatic reload and 2) why the concatenate script works during a manual reload.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

HI,

This can mean there is an issue with either the .meta or .share file. I would rename the .meta first and see if that fixes the problem. If not try to repair the .share.

Make sure you have a backup of the .share before you try to repair it.

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
klaus_feldam
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks, Bill.

We have tried this, but it is still giving us problems.

The script stops reloading during the loading of qvd files. After troubleshooting this issue all Friday and Saturday, I have been able to narrow it down to the data from on specific table.

It is concerning/confusing that 1) we receive no error messages and 2) the script runs manually without any problems.

Klaus Feldam

Director of Technology Solutions

klaus.feldam@endochoice.com

Not applicable

Hello Klaus,

This error message indicates that there is an issue reading either a .meta file or a .shared file. I recommend you first check the shared file using Shared File Cleaning tool. This tool is available from 11.20 SR4 onwards. As you are using SR7 you should get this tool. The instructions on "how to use" are available in the release notes.

Following is the recommendation from Qlik in case shared files are checked :

If the .shared files have already been checked (using the Shared File Cleaning tool), the problem is probably in the .meta files. A good solution is to remove all of the .meta files.

It can be difficult to identify which .meta files are causing the issue, so it is often easiest just to remove them all.

These files contain Category information and the User permissions (if using DMS authentication).

Once all of the .meta files have been removed, a restart of the QlikView Server service is best.

Re-distributing the QVWs will generate new .meta files.

On a separate note I will also suggest to see the log verbosity in QMC. If it is set to low then I will advise to set it to high (Setting it high may have an impact on your resources). This may reveal some more errors or warning which are suppressed by the low verbosity.

Thanks

Amit Prabhudesai

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Can you try creating a new qvw and see if you can pull the data into that?

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
klaus_feldam
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Yes, I have tried a couple of different things...

Copying the failing QVW to a new file (or renaming it) doesn't help - same issues.

Created a new QVW from scratch and copied the scripts from the failing QVW 8 into it. It runs without any issues.

klaus_feldam
Creator II
Creator II
Author

It seems like I have found a workaround.

The issue seems to be around the use of the 'Concatenate" formula.

Although this script has been running for months (every 20 minutes) without any issues, and still works fine when you run the reload manually, the automatic reload stops approx. 90% through the concatenating of historic QVDs with today's data.

We would basically update data from today from 10 different SQL database tables every 20 minutes and concatenate with last night's QVD of the full historic table. See script sample below:

Concatenate (CarrierTable)

Load

From D:\QlikView\SourceDocuments\QVD\CarrierTable.qvd(QVD)

I have now set the QVD historic data load to run several times per day to combine current and historic data.

The main script has been changed to pull directly from the QVDs and not concatenate today's data and historic data.

Ideal, no. Simplified, yes.

More importantly, it works.

Still hoping that Qlik Principal Engineers can help explain 1) why the concatenate script stopped working during an automatic reload and 2) why the concatenate script works during a manual reload.

pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi.

Read the thread but became confused. The issue was generated by corrupted  .meta / .shared  files or by a particular load script statement ?

Best,

pablolabbe

klaus_feldam
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Pablo,

I am not sure what's causing it. Our work-around involves not concatenating the data loads (which unfortunately increase load times and bandwidth usage). We we concatenate the data load, we run into the Distribution Service hanging and not saving the QVW several times per day.

At first it seemed like it was corrupted .meta/.shared files because removing them would solve the problem - for a while. We have run the same script for 2 years without an issue and nothing changed in the data or the scripts to affect the concatenation of the data load, so I don't know if it is corrupted .meta/.shared files, a script problem or a QlikView bug. Neither does QlikView engineers, unfortunately. This issue has been going on since September.

pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Klaus,

Thank you for answering so promptly.

I have a client where the qlikview server generates some warnings  that could be related to meta files, but coud not identify which file is associated with the error. They don´t have problems related with failed reload when saving the QVW.

Best regards and Merry Christmas !

pablolabbe