Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ksmith24
Contributor III
Contributor III

Does Qlik Sense support Direct Discovery?

Does Qlik Sense support Direct Discovery?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Giuseppe_Novello

Looking at the "help" section and the FAQ and know issue and bugs document, I do not see that mentions anything about Direct Discovery yet, I would assume that this not yet implemented. Unless anyone else has a different update or documentation, that would like to share. 

Hello Gentlemen do you know the correct answer? Michael Tarallo Sean Donovan Josh Good

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Giuseppe_Novello

Looking at the "help" section and the FAQ and know issue and bugs document, I do not see that mentions anything about Direct Discovery yet, I would assume that this not yet implemented. Unless anyone else has a different update or documentation, that would like to share. 

Hello Gentlemen do you know the correct answer? Michael Tarallo Sean Donovan Josh Good

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

That is correct Qlik Sense Desktop 0.96 does not include direct discovery.

ksmith24
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

What about in this most recent version announced last week?

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Kevin,

From what I see in the help - it IS available in the Qlik Sense Platform:

https://help.qlik.com/sense/en-US/online/index.html#../Subsystems/WorkingWith/Content/DirectDiscover...

Josh Good - do you know if this is also available in Desktop?

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hello Keith,

It appears that Direct Discovery is supported in Qlik Sense 1.0. Please seen the entry on Direct Discover from the Qlik Sense Help:

Direct Discovery

The Direct Discovery capability in Qlik Sense expands the potential use cases for Business Discovery, enabling business users to conduct associative analysis on larger data sources. It provides the complete associative experience of Qlik Sense on top of data coming directly from larger external data sources, and enables users to combine that big data with data stored in memory. With Direct Discovery, you can leverage any data useful for analysis without scalability limitations.

The Direct Discovery capability combines the associative capabilities of Qlik Sense in-memory data set with a query model where not all of the source data is directly loaded into the Qlik Sense data model. The aggregated query result is passed back to user interface so the Direct Discovery data set is part of the associative experience. You can navigate both on the in-memory data and the Direct Discovery data as a unified set.

You can create visualizations to analyze data from the combined data sets, make selections in either of the in-memory or Direct Discovery data, and see associations across them with the same characteristic Qlik Sense colours; green, white, and grey.

In order to use Direct Discovery in Qlik Sense, you must use special functions in the data load script. The way you create visualizations from Direct Discovery fields differs somewhat from working with other data sources, and since all the data is not kept in-memory, there may be performance issues when large amounts of data are retrieved.

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Yes Direct Discovery is available in Qlik Sense 1.0 (full version and Desktop).

-Josh