Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

Geospatial Map Extension for Custom Regions

Hi everyone,

So after releasing the US and Countries Google Map extensions a few days ago, the most common response from people is that it would be great if they could have a map like that for their own country, or for postal codes, or for provinces, or for sales regions, etc. etc.

So I made some modifications and created an extension that allows you to define your own custom regions.  Here's an (ugly) example:

customMap.png

Rather than posting all of the implementation instructions on here, I created a quick guide on how to get it up and running.

So, while it might be time consuming or require some steps in finding or converting data, you should be able to map whatever regions you want.

Hope this is helpful.  I'm working on some non-Google mapping extensions so look for those soon if these extensions are helpful to you.

23 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Brian,

Thanks for this wonderful post. It worked incredibly fine for me.

I would just like to know whether we can add drill down functionality on the regions that we create using this extention.

If yes, how do we implement it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Yashada

Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee
Author

Yes you could do so pretty easily by associating different regions with different dimensions.  For example, you could have a set of regions associated with the countries of the world then another set associated with states/provinces of those countries. 

You could then use a calculated dimension to determine which set to serve up.  If you had two levels, country and state, and you wanted the state points to be displayed when a country is selected, you could set the region dimension to this expression:

=if(GetSelectedCount(Country)=1, State, Country)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Brian,

Instead of lng&lat I have shape files in place. How can I use these shape files to mark regions and get drill down on it?

If possible please share an example.

Thanks

Yashada

Not applicable

Hi Brian,

I am new in qlikview ,appreciate your help, I am using custom region extension and instead of hard coding lat and long in property , i am using 2 variable v_lat and v_lng the value of this variable changes with selection from list box in application, How do i pass this value to customer region map property

screen shot for reference, appreciate your help

i get error