cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Questions on "new" search behavior

HI!

I must say I have my difficulties to understand the new QVSense numeric search behavior. See attached video.

I have a field with numeric IDs:

1) I do a search in ther filter panel for "<5" --> the current selection shows 1,2,3,4 --> behavior OK

2) I do a search for "<10" --> the current selection shows me 5,6,7,8,9 --> to me thats a strange behavior

Questions:

- Why does the "current selection box" shows selected items, instead of the search query. What happens if I do a snapshot. Will it save the search expression, or the selected values?

- I would expect the second .search to return 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. Why are the green values from Step1) excluded?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Roland / Janusz

OK - this is what I have found:

Pressing the ENTER  key - seems to remove the current selections. (i picked up on that after watching the video again)

• Search <5   - [press Enter]
  • values 1 to 4 selected
  • Search <10  - [press Enter]
  • values 1 to 4 removed from selection and values 5,6,7,8,9 selected
  • Search <5 again  - [press Enter]
  • all values are NOW selected

I will report this to our support team to log as a bug or to see if this is by design, etc. However, seems to be odd behavior to me too.

Work-around: - DO NOT USE the ENTER Key use the mouse and select the values and click the apply button - green check

Thanks for taking the time to report this.

Please mark the appropriate replies as helpful / correct so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Roland - let's take each question 1 at a time -

My example - works using <10

Here is my sample data you can use in the Data Load Editor:

load * Inline [

Id,age

]

Can you check your data model and see what the datatype of your column is flagged as - I am curious to see if this has something to do with it defining it as ascii or something.

let me know

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Michael!

See attached the .qvf and screenshot

"Standalone" Search for < 10 works for me as well.

Its just when you first search for "<5", after that search for "<10" --> only values 5,6,7,8,9 are selected.

The simple workaround is, that a  user always has to clear a field before it starts a new search; but I think that's not a very natural behavior.Qlik Sense Desktop_2014-09-24_08-34-05.png

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Roland - first thank you for the screenshots and the sample - very valuable to our team when trying to troubleshoot.

However, I AM NOT seeing this behavior with your app or mine - see the attached video attached to the bottom of this reply.

Are you using Desktop version 1.0 - or an older release?

Regards,

Let me know.

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello Michael,

The "incorrect" behavior happens then you performs the following steps:

1. Search for "<5" and apply selection. The current selection will show you numbers 1,2,3,4

2. Search again but this time for "<10" and apply selection. You would expect QlikView to show in the current selection numbers from 1 to 9. However it's not the case. Instead it shows numbers from 5 to 9.

In your testing scenario you're missing the selection stage following the first search.

I hope the above description is clear. If not, let me know.

Best regards,

Janusz

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Janusz -

Please see attached video to this reply - also please include a screenshot of what you are seeing, as I am not seeing this behavior. I'd like to narrow this down, before identifying this as by design, bug etc. I assume you are using the latest version 1.0 as well.

In the video:

• Enter the search of the list-box
  • I search for <5 - values 1,2,3,4 display as expected
  • I select values 1,2,3,4 - green, click apply
  • I then search for <10 - values 1-9 display - values 1-4 (selected / green) - values 5 - 9 - light grey (associated, possible values - but NOT selected)

So far what I am seeing is by design.

After the first 6 values are selected, the current selection bar shows the id - the number of values selected OUT OF x.

Let me know.

Regards,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

BTW - I watched the video a few times - and I am not seeing this behavior.

Still investigating.

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

OK - I see it now - I  HAD TO PRESS <ENTER> om my keyboard after the selection.

Let me investigate with our products team

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Exactly!!! Instead of selecting each value individually apply "search selection" by pressing Enter.

Best regards,

Janusz

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Roland / Janusz

OK - this is what I have found:

Pressing the ENTER  key - seems to remove the current selections. (i picked up on that after watching the video again)

• Search <5   - [press Enter]
  • values 1 to 4 selected
  • Search <10  - [press Enter]
  • values 1 to 4 removed from selection and values 5,6,7,8,9 selected
  • Search <5 again  - [press Enter]
  • all values are NOW selected

I will report this to our support team to log as a bug or to see if this is by design, etc. However, seems to be odd behavior to me too.

Work-around: - DO NOT USE the ENTER Key use the mouse and select the values and click the apply button - green check

Thanks for taking the time to report this.

Please mark the appropriate replies as helpful / correct so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik