Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Reload a QVW file in Qlikview Server 9 Release 3

Hi all,

I am in the process of reloading a QVW file in Qlikview Server 9 Release 3. The sources are qvd files which come out of a Data Warehouse. Ideally both of the processes, QVD creation and QVW reload should be one prcess. I read somewhere that in Qlikview Server 9 we have sourcefiles and userfiles and generally speaking publisher pushes the reloaded sourcefiles out to userfiles. As far as I understood ,user can only access userfiles.

Has someone done this before here? If so could you please share the general steps to go through to set that up.

Another thing is the windows account the reload and distribution process runs under. I assume that service needs the have access rights to all folders to read qvd files. My current reload process fails and the log is not helpful. What could be reason for the failure?

Thanks for any kind of input

Ludwig

5 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Ludwig,

I'm not sure what the advantage would be to creating a QVD if your QVW both creates it and uses it. What you would essentially be doing is loading data into memory, exporting a file, dropping the data from memory, and then reloading back into memory from the exported file. Typically, it only makes sense to use QVDs if your data is changed less frequently than transformations are made, or if multiple documents need to use the same data. If this is not the case, QVD creation is probably a little overkill for you.

Second, regarding Source Documents vs. User Documents: you will only see this distinction if you have the Enterprise version of Publisher. Do you? If so, then you would define your source document folders in QEMC --> System --> Distribution Services. Then define your User Documents folders/mounts in QEMC --> System --> Server Settings. Then, under Source Documents, you can create a distribution task that will distribute into your User Documents (i.e. your QVS folder or mounts). If you want more detail, take a look at the QVS Reference Manual (way too much to write here).

Third, regarding the Publisher account: typically, this should be a local admin and a domain user. It should be a local admin so that it can start services (many GPOs restrict this). It should be a domain user so it can browse the AD and choose users to distribute to. Check your local security policy and make sure that the account has been granted Logon As Service rights. This should have happened automatically during setup, but sometimes restrictive GPOs can get in the way. So check these things first, and if the reloads are still failing we can troubleshoot some more.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Vlad,

Thanks for the information you provided.

I see what you are saying. We proably are going to have very soon serveral qvw files which will use at least partially the same data. That's why I was interested in getting the data first into the qvd files and then into different qvw files. I agree, currently with just one app it's an overkill.

Yes, we plan to get the puplisher enterprise license as well and I read the docu and think I understand but haven't tried it yet. Business user would never see the content in the source folder, they would only see the content in the user folder. Does that mean that the qvw file is stored twice in to different locations?

Very good points you bring up in the third section. My problem was that the source system, a SQL-Server database needed a login for the windows account the Qlikview server runs under. When I added the login in SQL Server and allowed it read right to the database the import worked fine and as you mentioned the service also needs permissions to write or read to the folders, for instance for the production of the qvds.

I was waswondering if you could let the community know how the limit a users access to specific qlikview apps. For instance I want user A to only beeing see and open App 1 and 2 and user B would only see B for instance. Currently whoever has a license can see and open all the apps on the server.

Thanks again for your input.

Ludwig

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Yep, the QVW would exist twice--once as the original file in the Source Documents folder, and once as the distributed file in the User Documents folder. I'm glad you were able to resolve your reload problem!

By default, access control is through NTFS permissions. Therefore, quite simply, if you want to User A to see Apps 1 & 2, then give him NTFS Read permissions on those apps (the QVW files). Similarly, give User B Read permissions on App 2. Then make sure users that should not have access have no permissions on those files. Btw, the recommended best practice is to do this using AD groups, rather than specifying individual user accounts in the NTFS permissions.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Vlad,

Thanks for the information and help.

Where would one set this up? Is it within the Qlikview file or on the server?

Thx

Ludwig

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

On the QVW file. Browse to it in Windows explorer, right-click --> Properties --> Security. Add your users.