Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to use extensions

dear all,

Sorry for this basic and silly questions.

I found in qlikview installation folder there was folder name "Extensions" with the .qar file contents. My questions are:

1. What is that exactly? is it an additional chart object that i can use in QVW?

2. How to use that .qar file?

3. How to build/create .qar?

4. Is there any manual/tutorial for this?

Thank you..

17 Replies
Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

To install on desktop, clicking the QAR file should install it for you.  In order to install the extension on server, copy the extension's folder from your desktop extension folder and paste it into the server folder.  So, if you had an extension with a folder named "map2" you would copy the whole folder and place it in your server's extension directory.

Not applicable
Author

Hello all,

Sorry for the naive question. But I was wondering if the .qar created is for specific type of display or can i reuse it for a different application. What i mean is, if i need to develop a seperate report, must i create a seperate .qar. Thanks in advance for your kind reply.

Regards,

Karthik

rbecher
MVP
MVP

A document extension is created for a special type of visualisation (or other purposes), a special kind of chart for instance, and can be (re)used in many QlikView applications (reports).

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

So on a desktop installation does every user have to click the QAR? Or is there a path I can paste, as the admin, so that the extension is available to all users of that machine?

rbecher
MVP
MVP

You can copy the path of the extension (created by double click on .qar) to all other users:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\QlikTech\QlikView\Extensions

or

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\QlikTech\QlikView\Extensions

+sub folder for Extension Type:

\Document

\Objects

+sub folder for Extension:

\MyExtension

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

Ok, so in other words there is no way to deploy to ONE location for all users. Boo!

And so when a new user is added to the machine (this is a shared machine for QC), they either have to double click all the QARs or I have to manually copy the contents over for them?

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Right, for QlikView Desktop. But you can probably work with a symbolic link to a central folder.

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

How do you mean?