Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Cleaning up variables

Hi,

I am always trying to keep my QlikView_apps slim and tidy and understandable for outsiders.

One thing that has been bothering me is variables that are not needed anymore or are not even part of the code anymore, but that have been created at some time or other and are still around there.

=> Is there any way to delete variables after they have been used?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

15 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

User Preference->Security->Check: 'Script(Allow Database Write and Execute Statement'

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Good. There's just one caveat to that: In the long run, the app will be executed regularly on the server. The QlikView_user (the user that we have specified on the server to do all the reloading) does not have a QlikView_client installed, though.

Is there any way around that?

Needless to say, it would not be a big thing to just leave the files there - the script is supposed to run every 30min, so it doesn't make much of a difference. It would be a nice_to_have and an addition to our internal_development_standards - to always clean up after yourself just like you (are supposed to) do in real life 😉

tresesco
MVP
MVP

I am bit confused now. Did I hear that your application server would not have qv client installed? Qv would get reloaded in a server where there is no qv client installed?

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

You surely didn't hear that except if your computer has the ability to speak everything in a forum 😉

But yes, that's how it is - we have the QlikViewServer, and that takes care of all the reloading - well, I confused something. The QlikView-user does not have a license, that was never necessary. I'll have a look if there is a client installed. I can log on as that user. Just a moment.

P.S.: Yes, there is a client - when I log on as that user. I already ticked that checkbox. So that, combined with the setting in the script_editor, should do the trick. I'll try.

Not applicable

Running the Execute some time hangs up on the server. In Qlikview 11 we have a option to run the external scripts.

So first schedule a task running your App. Create the dependent external schedule job to clean up the qvd files.

QEMC --> System --> External Program

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi all,

I'll try this out. Cleaning up the files after use is essential here because the next time round, the code will run on another base_data_list, there might not be new files to replace them and then they'll end up being appended and mess up the output.