Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Edit Tables

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to know if anyone knows a method that allows to add one or more empty rows in a table, where I can insert new data that can be loaded into QVD.

Is there a way to do this or is it pure fantasy ?!

12 Replies
SergeyMak
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

ok.. But I have another question: What is the main data source for your app?

Regards,
Sergey
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Well, IMHO in many business environments QlikView replaces Excel because QV is a BI/Business Analytics application and not really a Data Messing tool. In QV the path from source data to display is devoid of features for uncontrolled modification of this data. Which helps to guarantee that this is "the truth" and there is only one version of it. Even the INPUTFIELD feature (almost the only one that supports adding column values to a table) produces strictily isolated data sets that can only be saved/exported to a data store that is external to the QlikView model.

I guess in your case - and because you want to add rows - there is a simple solution, but it relies on the load script to perform its duties: create a fixed layout excel and just load it by default in the load script and concatenate it to the target table you want to add rows to. Do not rely on the quality of the data in it: apply extensive validation rules on the content of the file, so that you can be sure that you're not adding garbage to an otherwise clean data set.

Make the script so that the file must be there, but shouldn't really contain anything per se. If it's empty, that's perfectly ok.

Share the file with whoever is permitted to influence the data in this table..

BTW IIRC INPUTFIELD cannot be used to arbitrarily add rows to a table in the UI.

A few years ago, I stumbled upon QV-based applications that supported data modification through the use of their own custom objects (was it for budgetting or forecasting?) Lost track however. Check the Qlik Market for tools and/or extensions that may provide what you are looking for.

Good luck,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

I've got only the excel files, because my project manager gave me those, then i don't know the origin of the data in excel files.