Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

check to see if a value equals selected filters

I have loaded a table into my script with the columns 'Condition' and 'Target'. How can I check to see if my 'Condition' value equals filters selected?

For example:

Filters are SubRegion, Quarter, and GBU. So if I have 'Brazil' selected for SubRegion, 'Q2' selected for Quarter, and 'ABS' selected for GBU, how do I match it to my Condition value that is 'BrazilQ2ABS'?

I have tried the following:

if(Condition = concat(getfieldselection(SubRegion),getfieldselection(Quarter),getfieldselection(GBU)),Target,0)

but it doesn't appear to be matching. Help please!

11 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Is this for a chart or text box. 

I think one of these will work, but if it doesn't, provide the context (Chart, text box, variable etc...)

if(  Condition = only( Subregion) & only(Quarter) & only(GBU),  Target , 0)

if(  Condition = only( Subregion) & only(Quarter) & only(GBU),  Only( Target) , 0)

if(  Condition = only( Subregion) & only(Quarter) & only(GBU),  Sum( Target) , 0)

Not applicable
Author

it is for an expression in a bar chart. I originally had nested ifs but there are 133 possible conditions so nested ifs don't work. I will try these, thanks

Not applicable
Author

Jonathan, none of those worked

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

If you put this in a text box, what is the resulting value displayed  ? You need to select 1 value for each of the 3 dimensions first.

=only( Subregion) & only(Quarter) & only(GBU)

Also, is Target numeric or textual data?

Not applicable
Author

Jonathan,

when I put that expression in a text box it appears to pull up the correct data but it is not matching to the Condition value. do I need to specify a data type somewhere? Condition is a text value and Target is a numeric value

For example Condition value is EMCIEQ2ABS

and I get EMCIEQ2ABS returned with your above statement but it's not matching (or not changing the associated target).

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Is the condition / target in a data island ?  There should be a way to create a concatenated key between the tables in your data model and the condition table... that would be the best solution.  

Can you post your data model ?

Not applicable
Author

Untitled.pngIt is on a data island. I was wondering about that. I created a key by importing a like column (SubRegion). Here is a screenshot of my data model.

When I do =only(SubRegion)&only(Quarter)&only(GBU) it gives me what I want but when I do =if(Condition = only(SubRegion)&only(Quarter)&only(GBU),Target,0) I get 0 with the same filters applied. it's not matching the results to Condition

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

What is in the 'Key' field ? 

I would join the quarterfilters and alm table together .

then i would make a new key that concatenates the 3 fields (subregion,quarter,GBU)  together and alias it also as condition.

At the bottom of your script you would have something like

---------------

left join (ALM)

load *

resident QuarterFilters;

drop table QuarterFilters;

noconcatenate

ALM1:

Load

Subregion&Quarter&GBU as Condition

resident ALM;

drop table ALM;

-------------------

Then the main table that has both ALM and the quarterfilters will be joined on Condition and your chart expression should just be Target or sum(Target) .

Not applicable
Author

I can't combine the tables because the QuarterFilters table is a breakout and remodeling of the ALM table.

I was able to create a trigger that worked perfectly using your =only(SubRegion)&only(Quarters)&only(GBU) as the search string and Condition as the Field with a Select in Field Action. It was working great for me yesterday and today it has suddenly decided to stop working. Any idea why that happened and how I can get it to work again?