Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

How much bandwidth does QlikView use?

Hi all,

Does anybody know how much bandwidth QlikView can use? Is there a way to limit it?

Thanks,

Karl

13 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Do you mean network bandwidth? There is a QVS setting "Compress network traffic" (on by default I think) that will reduce the load on the network.

-Rob

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Thanks for replying, Rob.

I am talking about Network bandwidth and I've seen in the forum references to the option to compress network traffic, but my question is not based on a problem that QlikView is too slow; but rather, a request from 2 customers who are doing a sizing analysis of QlikView.

There is a format to estimate the RAM or CPU necessary to support a certain data source size or number of users, but the customers also want to know how much network bandwidth to dedicate to QlikView.

For example, SAP might tell them 32 K o 128 K per concurrent user. Has anybody done any tests to see what is a good network bandwidth per user for the QlikView Plugin or AJAX?

Thanks for the help.

wandapec
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Karl, did you every get an answer to this question? I have been asked the same question, usually from the IT department of an organisation....

Not applicable

Hi Karl,

I´m also looking for that answer, did u get any feedback?

Best regards

Nelson Villarreal

nayanpatel
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Same Question asked by Customer

Please let me know.

Teppo_Ojala
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi all, Same question - but about Sense. do we have any reference values about how much Qlik Sense uses bandwidth in normal usage? For example, if user does one selection in the sheet that contains 4-6 objects, how much data will be transferred between end user device and Sense server.

Thanks in advance,

Teppo

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Hi Teppo,

No answer yet, but I'll see if I can get an answer next week at the Masters Summit.

Best, Karl

Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming the question is re network traffic from web browser to QlikView Web Server then the answer is [hopefully] not very much, but it will be bursty.  On initially opening a qvw you'll get a surge as the initial html [/xml] transmits to paint the screen. Not much for a nice clean layout, loads if stuffed with hi res graphics.  Same when navigating between tabs. Not too much when making selections, unless that causes a hi res graphic to be transmitted. Nothing if the user is just contemplating the dashboard or gone to make a coffee.

To give a precise figure is a bit like estimating the length of a piece of elastic being played with in a dark room.  But one could guess at maybe 10 to 100 Kb/sec.  But I would not wager money on that.

Sense could well be more, but it would depend on the visualization extensions used. The data hypercube is transmitted as JSON to be visualized in the client web browser based javascript.  So it all depends on the hypercube design, your data and selections...........

..... but a damn sight less than somebody watching cat videos on YouTube.

Teppo_Ojala
Former Employee
Former Employee

Thanks Karl,

It would be great to give some average numbers. For example using some of our demos from demo site as an example.

- Opening a document = xxx

- One selection = yyy

- Changing a sheet = zzz

This way we could estimate something. Thanks in advance,

Teppo