cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwh1104
Creator II
Creator II

Changing the root folder to another server

We currently have 5 QlikView servers in a cluster.  The oldest server is where our root folder (for Access Point) is located.

What do I need to consider when changing the root folder from one server to another server?  I would like to do this because I believe it would help the bottlenecks when QVWs are being written to the root folder.  I believe our final distribution times are being extended by several minutes, because the CPU is being maxxed out when QVWs are being written at the same time.  Our newer server has 3 times the processing power of our current server and would be able to handle it better.  I know how to change the root folder within the QMC, but wanted to know if there are any ramifications in doing this.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dan

7 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Dan,

All you need to do is create the share on the new server with the service account having full rights to the share. Then in the QMC you will need to change the Root Folder (See Below).

aa.png

Then move all you documents (QVW, .Meta & .share) over. If you have publisher, it would be best to run the task and let publisher do a distribution to the new folder. That way all the permissions would be right. You would still need to move the .share and .meta(if there is one).

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
dwh1104
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Bill,

Thanks for your reply.  I want to know if there is anything else I should be thinking of before doing this.  What are my potential issues in doing this?

manojkvrajan
Luminary
Luminary

Dan, There shouldn't be any issue in having your root folder in a different server excluding possible network latency in writing the files to that location.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

The only issue I see is the QVS services will restart and the users will be disconnected. The permissions on the QVWs will have to be reset.

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
ndandrea
Partner - Contributor III

Bill,

I copied my documents along with the pgo files and the other files in the documents folder to a new drive on the same machine. Then I changed the root folder in the console. Now I am seeing this. I must have done some thing wrong. Can I correct this? The files that are circled don't exist.

Capture.JPG.jpg

I appreciate any help you can give.

Nick

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Nick,

Can you post a screen shot showing your root folder? This normally happen when QVS sees the folder twice.

Bill

ndandrea

Bill

I was able to figure it out. I needed to recover the CALs by stopping the QVS and QMS services and deleting the caldata files. Thank you for your quick response.

Nick D'Andrea

Sent using OWA for iPhone