Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnh
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Story Telling

Hi All,

I am trying to find a way for users to see stories on the Sense Hub without having to open up the App that contains the story first.

Or at the least be able to search across app for stories.

Anybody know if this is possible?

John H

6 Replies
Not applicable

There are a couple of options. In the QMC, under Manage Content -> App Objects, you can filter the list by type and get the list of stories across all apps.

Another option is to build a custom UI that leverages the APIs. In other words, use the APIs to fetch the list of apps, then fetch the list of stories in each app. Once you have these lists, you have options to further operate on the App Objects. For example open a story in play-mode, or get a list of snaphosts in the story...

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Ingemar - I think what John actually wants, is for a user (not admin)  to access a Story in a similiar manner as an app, taking front and center stage along side apps in the hub. Are there any plans to eventually include this capability in the future?

Thanks

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
johnh
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Michael, You hit the nail on the head. From your answer I take it that it does not yet exist.

Thanks

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi John - correct, not at the moment - but we have see this request before and I know we have been discussing some possibilities in this area, but have nothing confirmed as of yet. Very exciting things happening here with Qlik Sense! For me, after 16+ years in BI and ETL, both experienced in proprietary and open source, what I have seen come out of Qlik has been amazing.

I know, sorry - shameless self-promotion, but very happy to be part of team Qlk, - as they say.

Please reach out to me directly via DM on the community if necessary.

Mike

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable

Yes. It would have been a more complete answer on my part to admit it does not exist in the Hub page. I just tried to offer other options. There is a hierarchy we need to acount for. Stories are not entities separate from Apps. They are integral components or substes of apps, just like sheets.

Do you really want to mix Stories with Apps in the Hub or do you want a landing page where you can enter Apps from a story before anything else?

Perhaps you still want to start from the hub, but it would be nice if you could expand the App listing somehow to see the Sheets and Stories?

Any more detailed feedback on how you would like to access stories would be helpful . Thanks.

johnh
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Ingemar,

Thanks for the reply.

I like your comment about starting from the Hub and being able to browse Apps / Stories and Sheets (maybe even objects).

From our perspective we would like the user to be able to find a Story that has been created without having to go into every App to find it. If they go to the Hub first and then branch off to a page that lists stories would also be fine.

Think about adding a QlikView Search object on the Hub that allows you to search thru your whole hub for Apps, Sheets, stories or even objects. (Maybe that is really wishful thinking☺. But really I always say you can find anything with QlikView)

Cheers

John H