Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tseebach
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Terminal Server

Hi,

We have a Terminal Server, that users use for corporate software, everything from Office to QlikView 11. The Qlik Sense installation says its unsupported. Its on Windows Server 2008 R2.

I've not been able to find out more than its seems not to be supported on Server OS? If that's right, Sense is going to a have tough time getting installed in the enterprise, I know that the Server installation so meant to be the solution, but still I think It should be possible to run the desktop on Citrix or Terminal Servers.

Untitled.png

11 Replies
Not applicable

QlikSense Desktop will only work on 64bit Desktop OS (Windows Vista / 7 / 😎

see Qlik Sense Desktop 0.96 System Requirements

Wait for QlikSense coming soon

tseebach
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

I know your answer is wait for server. But what is the response to wanting to support server based development using the desktop client in Citrix and TS based environments?

Not applicable

Have a look into this Post Re: Self-Service Visualization with QlikSense on QlikCloud - Is it a threat to Developers?

Just to Highlight the important Point

"That being said, when the complete Qlik Sense environment is released (licensed), take what I mentioned above and add that to a completely managed, governed, secured, extensible and enterprise ready platform.

• The ability to create content and access information anywhere, with support for mobile devices. Without the need for creating separate content specifically for mobile."
Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Torben,

I would be interested to hear why you would want to do server based development in Qlik Sense Desktop. Wouldn't it be much simpler to connect to the server via a web browser and do the development there?

-Josh

tseebach
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

I somewhat agree. But since you deliver a client, there will be people who expect to build an architecture where some development is done locally. They might consider doing training on the Desktop before having them use it on the server. It definitely very odd to have a desktop application that cannot be installed on a terminal server, and used by a larger crowd.

I wanted to install Sense on our Terminal Server so all of our developers also non-qlik could get an easy start with Sense.

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Thanks for clarifying your use case for me. You make valid points. Make sure to pass the feedback to our products team.

-Josh

tseebach
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

you're welcome.

If you decide not to enable server installs, I think you need to have a good argument prepared, or a workaround for special cases.

Not applicable

It would be beneficial to allow developers to do individual development away from the production users and production environment. When doing this development, we would want to ensure all developers are using the same versions of tools. Running from a terminal server environment simplifies.

Also, if I understand correctly as a developer I can develop an app/document in my desktop environment (would like terminal server also) not consuming license time and then publish to the server for others.

Are you encouraging developers to consume license time in their development efforts?

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Hi Brian,

Qlik Sense will allow you to do what you are suggesting for the most part.  Before I go into that, I do feel I should point out that Qlik Sense is not build for only a classic 'build, deploy, consume' model.  Qlik Sense is built to enable any use to create content.  Users can engaged at the level that is right for their skills.  I use the analogy of everyone can bake but some people bake from cake mix and others bake scratch.

To your comments specifically, developers (or users just wanted to create content) could work away from the product environment in one of two ways.  You could elect to setup a Qlik Sense test environment that would be completely separated from the production environment.  This would require a test license.  The alternate approach would be to setup a multinode environment and restrict development efforts to a specific node.  This would keep the environments integrated but would ensure separation should a development activity have adverse effect on the server.  In both of these scenarios you would easily be able to ensure all developers are using the same version since everyone would be in the same environment.  You would also have the benefit of being able to collaborate online by sharing via streams.

Regarding the comment about if developers need to be licensed if they are going to developer for a server based production environment. The answer is yes.  The licensing model supports this by allowing remix of the usage type.  During periods of heavy development more tokens can be allocated to developers as (typically as User Access) and once that effort is competed the token can be reallocated to other users (as Login Access or User Acces).

Qlik Sense Desktop is not intended to be the development environment for Qlik Sense.  You could technically do this however you will likely run into a few issues in the long term.  Qlik Sense Desktop will force you to upgrade to the latest version regardless of the version of your server based environment.  It also doesn't have security (e.g. ability to create section access) or not supported (or licensed) to be use on terminal service.

I hope this helps.

Josh

Qlik