Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView Server Installation on multiple servers - possible?

Hi All,

We're having performance issues after upgrade to QV 9.0 SR3; it seems to me kinda strange for a machine with 8GB RAM, a descent processor (CPUs are impossible to neither upgrade nor add) and for an online file of about 35 MB, qvs process is taking over 1GB of RAM;

My questions here are two:

- is the size of the file really greater than needed for a normal on-line viewing? I know that depends on the data structure inside, etc, but still - what is the biggest file you've launched online?

- is it possible that the QlikView server is installed on several servers? Here, I mean only the server - I read some stories about splitting the server and the publisher (though the latter is part of the server in latest versions) on different machines, but my questions here is: may QlikView server itself be split on two PCs, so the processor load is somehow distributed between them? If so, I would be glad to learn more - no matter whether use cases or some specific documentation on that.

Anyway, any recommendations on these performance issues would be great - even those excluding HW upgrades/architecture redesigns.

Kind regards,

Peter

8 Replies
lhr
Employee
Employee

they way i understand it you want a single document split between two qvses running on different servers (for example, qvs1 loads 40% of the document and qvs2 loads 60%). this is not possible, a qvs always loads and serves the complete document.

cheers,

lars

Not applicable
Author

Hi and thanks so much for your reply!

What about keeping the document reloaded by one qvs, however the qvs is running on on Server1 and Server2?

lhr
Employee
Employee

im not sure i follow, would you care to elaborate?

/lars

Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter,

basically it is possible to use a QVS-Cluster with QV9. It means that you have two and more server with a running QVS on it. In the management console you can cluster them. After that it can be used as it would by one QVS. You dont have to decide on which server the file should be opened.

At the moment we use four server; one which controls the management console and web server for QV and three with QDS and QVS (even if only the QVS is clustered).

I hope you can use this information for you further thoughts.

Greetings

Peter

Not applicable
Author

I would suggest that we put the idea of clustering and running different components of the QlikView platform upon different servers aside for one moment and address the issue of memory usage on one server.

You should not need anymore memory when hosting the document for "normal viewing". If you mean the difference from running a qvw on your desktop QV Developer to hosting it within QVS, you should find the RAM requirements to be similar. You need to allow for about 5% of the total RAM used by the QVW per extra user.

I have an idle QVS and it is using 3.5GB of RAM for the QVS service. Might seem shocking as idle = no users, but QVS is holding a fair QVWs in RAM.

If possible shutdown the QVS service and restart it, and see how much memory you are using. Also inspect the document settings for "preload" option, since you may be preloading a lot of QVWs and this is affecting the total amount of RAM used for your 35mb qvw.

Not applicable
Author

Hi and thanks for your reply, I am currently researching also in the cluster idea.

Now, to your point - after restart, qvs uses twice less RAM, which is quite interesting, however seems normal, having in mind the number of people using it. As for 'preload' option, it is disabled for all documents on the server - if it is settable anywhere in the document settings, please let me know.

Otherwise, the same file on my local PC consumes three timess less RAM, than running under QVS. Of course, the server runs also other documents (needed for reloading), however this does not in any way explain why the memory usage doubles a few hours after qvs is started.

Guess next steps here should be clustering - if anyone has 'best practices' or similar, or any ideas for performance improvement, please feel welcome to comment.

Thanks for your time,

Peter

rharmsny
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - we have a 2 server cluster which works very well both web and qvs servers balanced - the web through an ACE switch and the servers through Accesspoint.

I was wondering if you had any "gotcha" notes when upgradign a cluster. I'm assuming we bring down the services on both servers, deinstall both servers, reinstall both servers, but reboot the servers in primary/secondary order. If you have any experience updating cluster servers, I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks!

lhr
Employee
Employee

you can set qvs memory limits in the management console. the normal behavior of the qvs is to keep as much as possible cached in memory and not release it until it needs to be replaced by something new.