Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview on Ipad - screen wont resize

Hi there,

First post on the community - appreciate the experts input.

We have just released our first Qlikview document.  All appears to be working on desktop and server however when the managment team access via iPad the screen wont resize to fit.  The screen is half chopped off.

The problem this causes other than just being plain annoying and a negative user experience is that on my cyclic drill down charts I cant scroll across using the scroll tab or scroll arrow.  The screen thinks I'm trying to scroll across the screen.

I have since read on the community that optimal page size for iPad is 980x590.  I hope I do not have to go back and reconfigure 14 tabs worth of work so it can fit on an ipad.

Is there an option that I have overlooked in having this document size properly on the ipad ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jjfabian
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi sashj888,

sorry for the bad news.

I would agree with the manuals that the display of QVWs is somewhat seemless, as long as your browser can run HTML5. However, this out of the box functionality for any QVW file does not necessarily ensure that your QVW will look neat on any kind of screen or device.

For any project that I do, choosing the right resolution for the right audience/device/application is one of the first steps you need to do right when you start designing the interface.

In my opinion there's also a somewhat positive side to your problem: "Converting" your Application to an Ipad QVW shouldn't be as tough as building your initial Desktop QVW:

- Having developed your Desktop QVW, all your content is set - Now's the chance to determine what Objects need to be implemented in an Ipad optimized version.

- With all your content ready, you "only" need to think about one thing: Design. I would suggest tackling this task with these steps:

1. Determine how you want to navigate on the Ipad whether you want to use a Tabrow or Ipad- [and               big-finger- 🙂 ] optimized button layout to navigate betweens your sheets, clear+forward+back selections and      so-on.

2. Build one or two empty - yet fully designed - sheet templates to be used throughout your entire QVW -      Use   these templates for all your "former desktop sheets"

3. "Convert" your desktop QVW into mobile - like I said in the beginning your content is set --> your logic is           all there.

I've attached a picture with an example of what I mean by building a design template. While I can't supply you with the QVW itself, I'll gladly answer your questions if you have any. Also, the Mobile App Contest finalist utilize some interesting design aspects, have a look at them here. (Look for demos in the "Mobile App Contest" category)

When I convert my Desktop QVWs with the help of such a template, it usually doesn't take me that long. (Took about a day to build an test this template - then about another day to add about 5 sheets of content)

hope you figure it all out,

best regards,

Jakob

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jjfabian
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi sashj888,

for the optimal Ipad experience you will have to design you application so that it fits the Ipad.

When I design mobile applications, I use an entirely different layout than for desktop versions (e.g. Larger objects to navigate;  no standard tabrow - but rather interactive buttons to navigate; and other things). You have to be really creative to create a good Ipad QV-App, changing the resolution is a start, but hardly the only task (at least in my opinion).

If you haven't read it already, I'd recommend reading the attached Document on QlikView Mobile Best Practices - it's very insightful.

Good luck

Jakob

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Jakob,

I've since read the Best Practice document.  The unfortunate thing is that I have just spent three months designing and building the document in accordance with the business requirements.  My research during this time did not reveal the need to tailor the document for iPad.  All the documentation online and in the manuals implies a seemless integration with the iPad which is obviously not the case.

The end result is that I would need to build a bespoke version for the iPad as an iPad format isnt ideal for a 24inch desktop screen.

Quite frustrating as we have 150 desktop users and management on both desktop and iPad.

Appreciate your assistance.

jjfabian
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi sashj888,

sorry for the bad news.

I would agree with the manuals that the display of QVWs is somewhat seemless, as long as your browser can run HTML5. However, this out of the box functionality for any QVW file does not necessarily ensure that your QVW will look neat on any kind of screen or device.

For any project that I do, choosing the right resolution for the right audience/device/application is one of the first steps you need to do right when you start designing the interface.

In my opinion there's also a somewhat positive side to your problem: "Converting" your Application to an Ipad QVW shouldn't be as tough as building your initial Desktop QVW:

- Having developed your Desktop QVW, all your content is set - Now's the chance to determine what Objects need to be implemented in an Ipad optimized version.

- With all your content ready, you "only" need to think about one thing: Design. I would suggest tackling this task with these steps:

1. Determine how you want to navigate on the Ipad whether you want to use a Tabrow or Ipad- [and               big-finger- 🙂 ] optimized button layout to navigate betweens your sheets, clear+forward+back selections and      so-on.

2. Build one or two empty - yet fully designed - sheet templates to be used throughout your entire QVW -      Use   these templates for all your "former desktop sheets"

3. "Convert" your desktop QVW into mobile - like I said in the beginning your content is set --> your logic is           all there.

I've attached a picture with an example of what I mean by building a design template. While I can't supply you with the QVW itself, I'll gladly answer your questions if you have any. Also, the Mobile App Contest finalist utilize some interesting design aspects, have a look at them here. (Look for demos in the "Mobile App Contest" category)

When I convert my Desktop QVWs with the help of such a template, it usually doesn't take me that long. (Took about a day to build an test this template - then about another day to add about 5 sheets of content)

hope you figure it all out,

best regards,

Jakob

Not applicable
Author

Thanks again Jakob,

Your input has been most valuable.

Not applicable
Author

Hi there,

another tip in response to:

sashj888 wrote:

The problem this causes other than just being plain annoying and a negative user experience is that on my cyclic drill down charts I cant scroll across using the scroll tab or scroll arrow.  The screen thinks I'm trying to scroll across the screen.

When swiping with 1 finger, the Ipad (or other tablet) thinks you want to scroll to entire screen. If you swipe with 2 fingers in de grapgh with the scrollbar, this should scroll in the graph (object) without scrolling the entire screen.

(This works not only for qlikview, but also when surfing the internet, ...-

Regards,

Yves

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

HI Jakob,

Will u post this kind of sample application ??

I need to develpe the application based on the mobile view..

u r app will give a path for me ..

Please

Thanks in advance..