Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct discovery Teradata 14

I'm trying to use QV version 11.20.12129.9 Sr4 64bit on top of Teradata Version 14.10.02.08, I figured out that this is the last SR I can use with this version of Teradata, I tried with SR5 and SR8 but I was not able to use the direct discovery feature.

I'm working with a multi national company so could be challenging to get the worldwide used Teradata system updated to version 15.

I would like to ask you which is the best and most reliable way to use a direct discovery on Teradata 14?

Is there any connector other than ODBC for Teradata? (I tried QVX_TPTConnector but it doesn't seem to work)

7 Replies
Hugo_Sheng
Employee
Employee

Hi Roberto,

The likely cause is due to the syntax change that took place with the QV 11.2 SR5 release.   You will need to update your syntax.

The new syntax is covered here:

QlikView Direct Discovery FAQ 11.2_SR5.pdf

QlikView 11 2 SR5 Direct Discovery Technical Addendum.pdf

in QV 11.2 SR7 some additional features were introduced, including multi-table and Teradata query band support.  We also introduced a separate TPT connector which requires you to have TTU (Teradata Tools and Utilities - Windows Installation Package | Teradata Developer Exchange) installed where QV is running. 

QlikView Direct Discovery FAQ 11.2 SR7.pdf

QlikView 11 2 Direct Discovery Technical Addendum 11.2 SR7.pdf

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Hugo,

Thank you for your answer.

I tried with SR5 and SR8 using the new syntax, but direct discovery doesn't work. (SR5 crashes and with SR8 I get a spoo exception)

I also tried the TPT connector with TTU 15 installed but it doesn't work.

I found this on Teradata website http://www.teradata.de/partners/qliktech/?LangType=1031&LangSelect=true http://www.teradata.de/partners/qliktech/?LangType=1031&LangSelect=true where they affirm that Teradata 14 is not compatible with QV 11.2 SR 5 is that correct?

Hugo_Sheng
Employee
Employee

Hi Roberto,

Sorry for the confusion - it should state that Teradata 13, 13.10, 14, 14.10, and 15 are all compatible with QlikView v11.2.

As for the error you are receiving - are you able to post the exact error message?   Also, is this happening on reload?

For the TPT Connector, does your userid have the correct permissions?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Hugo,

Thank you for your answer, basically you were right and qlik sr8 work on teradata 14 (it was a problem related to the session spool

What kind of permission I need to work with the TPT Connector? Is it possible to use the TPT connector with  direct discovery?

Hugo_Sheng
Employee
Employee

Here's some guidance on necessary privileges

http://www.info.teradata.com/htmlpubs/DB_TTU_14_10/index.html#page/Load_and_Unload_Utilities/B035_24...

Please note that using TPT will also consume a utility slot on Teradata.

TPT is not meant to be used for transactions - it is designed for fast bulk data movement. Direct Discovery cannot leverage TPT.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank u Hugo,

Is there any way to direct connect to Teradata other than an ODBC driver?

Could you suggest me some best practice about using direct discovery on teradata?

Hugo_Sheng
Employee
Employee

Hi Roberto

The only other option is OLE DB, though I've never tested.   Typically ODBC or TPT would be the best options. 

Here's some guidelines regarding Direct Discovery: 

QlikView 11 2 Direct Discovery Technical Addendum 11.2 SR7.pdf

QlikView Direct Discovery FAQ 11.2 SR7.pdf

On Teradata, you want to take advantage of the power of their Aggregate Join Indexes (AJI) to accelerate queries.  You can also drop me a note off line and we can discuss further.

Hugo