Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Enable develop option in Access Point for Named Users

Hello everyone,

I am new to the QMC and have a couple of document CAL's and a number of Named User CAL's.

The document CAL's are divided over 3 qvw files, which works just fine. However, the Named Users that I have created via 'System - Licenses - Assigned CALs' are not able to make changes to any of the qvw's. Can anyone help me to enable this? Do I need to change settings in the qvw itself maybe?

As I understood the Named Users are able to develop via the access point (edit script, create new objects, change objects, etc.). When they make changes to the qvw, will these changes hold for everyone or only for themselves?

Thanks in advance!

9 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You're mistaken. Even Named CAL users cannot change the script of a QVW in the Access Point.

• All license holders can be granted permission to add Server Objects to a document in the AccessPoint. However, they cannot change what is already present in the document. Move or scale objects at most. Permissions are granted via the QMC. Look for server collaboration/server objects.
  • Named CAL holders can lease their license to a so-called QV Desktop installed on their local machine. With this QV development tool, they can open a document file (.qvw), make changes and store the file again.

That's about it.

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply, this clarifies a lot.

Regarding your second comment, I assume I need to check the option 'Allow License Lease' in the QMC. How does it then work for the named user to move the qvw to their local machine and make changes to it? Do you need to download it?

Lars

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

1. Yes, you need to check option "Allow license lease" in the QMC.
  2. That's a very peculiar workflow, at least in QlikView terms. Usually, documents are developed first in QV Desktop, validated, and only then published in the AccessPoint. In most environments, users are simply not allowed to download a qvw. One reasonable exception are mobile users (salesmen) that need a pile of data when visiting customers and cannot rely on an ad-hoc broadband link.

Note that the fact that you could download a document from the accesspoint shouldn't make you think that QlikView supports a full-circle development workflow, simply because the reverse - upload a document - doens't exist (yet).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your help Peter, I managed to lease the license to my personal edition. Too bad the 'edit script' functionality does not work for Named Users, but I also imagine why this is not possible.

I now have a problem that the .qvw file that is deployed on the server is not developed by me and I can no longer open files of other people on my personal edition. As you can imagine, I don't really feel like rebuilding the complete .qvw. Do you see another possibility maybe?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I see what you're dealing with.

Two notes:

• Once you succeeded in leasing a license from a QlikView server, your PE becomes a fully licensed edition and will open any document that can be opened (by builtin security settings)
  • With a license lease, you can use the Open in server client feature of your desktop to open the AP document that was developed by someone else. If security in this document is not too tight, you should now be able to make a local copy (qvw file) on your disk

Otherwise you'll have to grab the qvw from the server (see Document root) or let someone with server access send you the file.

Best,

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Unfortunately I am not able to make a local copy of this file... Also when I grab the qvw file from the server my Personal Edition doesn't allow me to open it.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you start your QV Desktop, and click on "License Information" on the Welcome page (assuming you have SR7/SR8), then what does it say? If it is correct that you managed to lease a license (your previous message), then you're not running a Personal Edition anymore.

Probably you're having trouble opening the document because it has SA security builtin. A well-protected QVW document cannot be opened by anyone except the developer(s) and users with role ADMIN. Sorry.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

It still says I am running a Personal Edition. Also whey I have opened a document using the license lease. I have 11.20 SR8 running. The document does not have section access, that is what I know for sure.

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi,

License cannot be lease from test server.

Make sure you do not have test server installed from which you are leasing.

Regards

ASHFAQ