Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Big challenge: monitoring campaigns performance

Hi all,

I have a challenge with a data model built to analyze campaigns performance.

My goals are:

• calculate how many orders/customers involved in campaign have done from start date to end date of campaign;
  • calculate how many orders/customers in the group control (sample customers thate are not involved in campaign management) have done from start date to end date of campaign.
  • The main KPI is the 'Campaign Response': Orders/Customers.

I have to obtain a table in which for each row (single campaign) are calculated: Response of customers involved, response of sample customers.

The first model was:

data_model.PNG.png

In order to calculate the response of sample customers I need to 'link' 'Campaign_Start' and 'Campaign_End' (CAMPAIGN LIST) to 'Order_date' (ORDERS) in wich Sample Customer have a boolean field 'Sample Y/N'.

My questions:

• What do you think about a link table using 'Interval Match' function?
  • If I link Campaign List with Orders, is built a cicrcular reference?

Any suggestions or discussions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Romina

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_casselman
Creator
Creator

Hi Romani,

This is a typical example of date ranges (search for 'date range' in the forums and you will get lots of posts and blogs on the subject).

A good example (amongst many other) is here : http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2013/02/12/reference-dates

We use it a lot ourselves, also doing marketing campaign analysis at our company.

The 'general trick' is to generate a link between every possible date with your data.

If you link your campaign ID with every single date between start and and date of the campaign you will select all these dates when you select a campaign. At first most people fear that this will generate a lot more data but this is in most cases not a problem. Using this trick dates and date ranges become 'associated' with the data and this is how QV works at ist best.

How to generate this reference date ?

CampaignDatesRanges:

Load SME_CAMPAIGN_ID,
          Date( CAMPAIGN_START+ IterNo() – 1 ) as ORDER_DATE
          Resident CAMPAIGN_LIST
          While IterNo() <= CAMPAIGN_END - CAMPAIGN_START + 1 ;

Then you can just make a chart with campaignid as the dimension, and the KPI's as expressions...

Mark

View solution in original post

1 Reply
mark_casselman
Creator
Creator

Hi Romani,

This is a typical example of date ranges (search for 'date range' in the forums and you will get lots of posts and blogs on the subject).

A good example (amongst many other) is here : http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2013/02/12/reference-dates

We use it a lot ourselves, also doing marketing campaign analysis at our company.

The 'general trick' is to generate a link between every possible date with your data.

If you link your campaign ID with every single date between start and and date of the campaign you will select all these dates when you select a campaign. At first most people fear that this will generate a lot more data but this is in most cases not a problem. Using this trick dates and date ranges become 'associated' with the data and this is how QV works at ist best.

How to generate this reference date ?

CampaignDatesRanges:

Load SME_CAMPAIGN_ID,
          Date( CAMPAIGN_START+ IterNo() – 1 ) as ORDER_DATE
          Resident CAMPAIGN_LIST
          While IterNo() <= CAMPAIGN_END - CAMPAIGN_START + 1 ;

Then you can just make a chart with campaignid as the dimension, and the KPI's as expressions...

Mark