Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmstephenson
Creator
Creator

y axis scale for line chart with 3 expressions

Hi All,

I have a line chart with 3 expressions- all payment expressions measured in the same units by the same axis (left position). When I added in the 3rd expression for the 3rd line, the graph automatically forced 0 for the y axis even though this is not selected on the axis tab for any of the 3 expressions. Because of this, the lines are all squished together. How do I correct this? Why would the graph force to 0 even if this is not a selected option? I don't want to set a static min or max because depending on the selections, the payments vary.

Thank you!

8 Replies
ecolomer
Master II
Master II

Can you upload an set data example file.

If  you use Min an Max limits this can be variable throught an expression also.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

I could not replicate this with a single dimension and 3 similar expressions where none of the expressions had 'forced 0' selected on the axis tab.

can you share the QVW ?

kmstephenson
Creator
Creator
Author

I have never used the Static Min option- is it easy to set the static min to the minimum point of all 3 expressions? I'm also less familiar with the MIN() and AGGR() functions (I should probably learn to use them both more frequently!)

kmstephenson
Creator
Creator
Author

The line that seems to be the issue happens to only have values for a few of the x-axis end dates. The x-axis is the EndDt from Dec2013-Jun2014 (created TrendsEndDt field to format date correctly and only select these dates). The line added in that causes the plot to force to 0 only has data values at Dec2013, Mar2014 and Jun2014 (Quarterly Report) whereas the other 2 lines have data points on the line for each EndDt month. Could this be the issue?

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

I am not sure.  if you convert the same object to a straight table (go to chart properties -> general -> Select straight table)  are there any values showing up as zero or null ? 

kmstephenson
Creator
Creator
Author

yeah it actually looks like it is showing up as zero. that third expression is also using a field from a different table, but that table has EndDt as a key between the tables so that shouldn't be the issue either

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

That would explain why its showing 0 in the scale (becuase there are zero values).

if you resolve the source that should be the end of your scale problems.

kmstephenson
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Jonathan- but it's a line chart and the line never touches zero- attached is an example. see orange line (data points at Dec2013, Mar2014, Jun2014)