Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

connecting amazon redshift from EC2 instance

I am trying to create data connection to amazon Redshift using postgresql odbc driver (64 bit) in qlik sense server hosted on amazon EC2. Even though I am able to successfully establish connection, fetch table, prepare load statement with preview but when clicked on loaddata button to load the data, It throws an error

"Started loading data

Could not fetch connection by name using identifier PostgreSQL30 (qlikserver_virtusadmin) LIB CONNECT TO 'PostgreSQL30 (qlikserver_virtusadmin)'

"

Thanks

Idrees

26 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Ldrees - Can you attach the Server and the Engine log files?

You can find the directories that have them in the ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Logs\ directory

It may be a driver issue, permission issue or port issue on the EC2 box when attempting to retrieve the data. We may have to test this in house and troubleshoot.

Regards,

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Hi Micheal,

please find attached the logs for the server: Virtus IT 

Thanks

Idrees

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Ldrees - thanks. I forwarded the information appropriately. This issue may take a little longer to troubleshoot. I am working with the support team to see if we have a Redshift instance we can use. I can set one up if need be, but will need to work with our support team first.

Just for giggle - can you go to the local desktop of the EC2 instance and install another 3rd party software tool such as Microsoft Excel and use the same ODBC driver that you configured on that system with Excel to see if you can pull data without issue? This may be able to tell us something and possibly isolate if the issue is driver, port, permission related. Make sure you log in to the EC2 Desktop using the same account that is running the Qlik Sense services.

Regards,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Hi Micheal,

I am able to use the same ODBC driver for SQL Server and able to pull the data in qlik sense server. It is displaying the data in PREVIEW view and then allowing me to Load data set.

However, with redshift, though it does displays the data in preview view but unable to complete load data set operations.

Thanks

Idrees

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Ldrees - that is a good start,

Can you use another product such as Excel or some other tool on the same system as the Qlik Sense server with the Redshift ODBC driver (PostgreSQL ODBC) - you have setup? That way we eliminate Qlik Sense and focus on the ODBC driver and see if it pulls data into Excel without issue.

11-13-2014 12-52-24 PM.png

11-13-2014 12-54-13 PM.png

11-13-2014 12-55-04 PM.png

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Giuseppe_Novello

Idrees,

The ODBC data source is applied under 'USER DNS" or "System DNS" ?

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Hi Novello,

ODBC driver configured under "System DNS"

Thanks

Idrees

Giuseppe_Novello

Idrees,

And the account that you are logged in ( assuming this is only Qlik Sense desktop) has full rights to Redshift.

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Giuseppe_Novello

Also not sure if you have Qlikview and if can test it and see if that works or like Michael ask with Excel?

Gio

Giuseppe Novello