Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

connecting amazon redshift from EC2 instance

I am trying to create data connection to amazon Redshift using postgresql odbc driver (64 bit) in qlik sense server hosted on amazon EC2. Even though I am able to successfully establish connection, fetch table, prepare load statement with preview but when clicked on loaddata button to load the data, It throws an error

"Started loading data

Could not fetch connection by name using identifier PostgreSQL30 (qlikserver_virtusadmin) LIB CONNECT TO 'PostgreSQL30 (qlikserver_virtusadmin)'

"

Thanks

Idrees

26 Replies
Giuseppe_Novello

Idrees,

I am using UNICODE too, and work perfectly for me. In that case, I need better detail what are you doing and step by step to reproduce. Again, Are you sure the within the Redshift VPC security group and the cluster security groups are set correctly and "qlikserver_virtusadmin" has full rights to the database.

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Hi Gio

We are using the same account in performing the same operation of load data set for various types of data sources like SQL server, Excel file etc..So I think we might not have the rights issue here.

Thanks

Idrees

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Please find our observations as we continue to investigate and analyze the reasons behind ODBC driver not working properly with qlik sense server:

1. We are able to perform load data set operation by using “OLEDB provider for ODBC drivers” and had pulled off the data from Redshift in qlik sense server, but to make a note of it that the underlying ODBC driver is the same 64 bit System DSN ODBC postgreSQL driver that we had been using earlier directly. The system is based on 64 bit OS and 64 bit qlik sense server installed.
  2. While having no success in using 64 bit ODBC driver, I feel it could be of importance for you to share our observation that though qlik sense server somehow pretends that it created the data connection using ODBC driver but actually it is not. This observation is based on the following behavior of system:
    1. When we create data connection, it looks that the data connections process is done as we see new instance of data connection right in the right navigation pane along with other list of data connections already created.
    2. When clicked to perform “select data” for the data connection that is created just now, it does successfully shows popup with a name of the database, list of tables in a database, columns in a selected table but also that it allows us to preview the data of the selected table.
    3. but just before loading data, it throws exception.
    4. Then when we refresh the page, it doesn’t even show up the data connection itself. Earlier in point 2, it does display the data connection in that list however, we do not know why it did disappeared.
    5. We realized finally that actually data connection itself is not being registered appropriately though system never conveys the message in throughout the experience that it couldn’t establish the connection. So, every-time we create ODBC data connection and refresh the page, it simply makes that data connection disappear from the list of data connections.
    6. The most fishy thing out of our complete experience is that it does fetch information from the data source as described in point b even though it doesn’t established the connection successfully.

Thanks

Idrees

Giuseppe_Novello

Idrees,

Thank you for the response, but again I am unable to replicate the issue, I am able to connect fine my Qlik Sense with Redshift database and load the data with my PostgreSQL. Now, what version you have installed?

I am using 9.03.02.10.

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Not applicable
Author

Hi gio,

I am using qlik sense server version of 1.0.1.

Also, can you please share your steps and process in details in connecting with Redshift. I would like to execute exactly same steps at my end to make it working.

Thanks

Idrees

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gio,

can you please confirm that you are using qlik sense server version 9.03.02.10. If this is correct,  then it seems we are using much older version of qlik sense server version 1.0.1 and we would like to work with sales team of qlik sense in getting the latest version updates so we can do integration and evaluate.

Thanks

Idrees

Giuseppe_Novello

Idrees,

Mmmm, I do not think Qlik Sense version 9.03.02.10 ever existed, what I meant I have PostgreSQL ODBC driver version 9.03.02.10. The only 3 public versions of Qlik Sense were .96, 1.0 and 1.0.1, which I had tested in Qlik Sense 1.0 and 1.0.1 and all works fine. On my last post I requested to check you PostgreSQL ODBC driver version.

Gio

Giuseppe Novello