Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

connecting amazon redshift from EC2 instance

I am trying to create data connection to amazon Redshift using postgresql odbc driver (64 bit) in qlik sense server hosted on amazon EC2. Even though I am able to successfully establish connection, fetch table, prepare load statement with preview but when clicked on loaddata button to load the data, It throws an error

"Started loading data

Could not fetch connection by name using identifier PostgreSQL30 (qlikserver_virtusadmin) LIB CONNECT TO 'PostgreSQL30 (qlikserver_virtusadmin)'

"

Thanks

Idrees

26 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Novello,

No. We dont have Qlikview installed. There is no Office installed on the machine. I am working out to get office installed and try it out.

Thanks

Idrees

Giuseppe_Novello

great! Please let me know the outcome. I am working with Michael Tarallo about this issue, so it really important if you let us know the results with a different program. But as well you can use Qlikvew developer, its free and you can have Qlik Sense desktop and Qlikview developer on the same machine without any problems.

BI Platform Free Download, QlikView Personal Edition | Qlik

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Hi Novello,

I am able to import data from redshift in Microsft Excel using the same 32 bit ODBC driver (ODBC driver for postgreSQL) but the still same data I am unable to import in Qlik sense.

Thanks

Idrees

Giuseppe_Novello

Idrees,

Have you tied with 64 bit ODBC in Sense? and just to be clean in sense you select 32X?

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Not applicable
Author

Hi Gio,

I have tried using both 32 bit and 64 bit ODBC with sense but I felt like there are issues in using 64 bit ODBC driver for postgreSQL in general as I am unable to pull data even in Excel.

My other observation that gives me sense of issue lies within qlik sense is that while performing loading data set operation, the system (qlik sense) does able to fetch the data in preview view while generating the INSERT SCRIPT (it is displaying database name, list of tables, columns and the complete set of records).

Thanks

Idrees

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Gio it seems based off of these tests that the 32 odbc driver DOES work with preview, but not with load data.

can we get a red shift system in house to test?

i Can set one up but it will take some time, let me know.

MIke

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Giuseppe_Novello

Idrees,

For your ODBC driver what are you using? “PostgreSQL Unicode(64X)”  or  “PostgreSQL ANSI(64X)”

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Not applicable
Author

Hi Gio,

I have used 32 bit ODBC driver of postgreSQL to connect to  64 bit qlik sense and the OS is also of type 64 bit.

Thanks

Idrees

Giuseppe_Novello

Right but which driver have you setup, “PostgreSQL Unicode”  or  “PostgreSQL ANSI”. I am asking because, I already tested Redshift database with Qlik sense, I am unable to replicate your issue, it loads data perfectly.  Are you sure the within the Redshift VPC security group and the cluster security groups are set correctly and "qlikserver_virtusadmin" has full rights to the database.

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Not applicable
Author

I am using Unicode driver.

Thanks

Idrees