Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Longitude and Latitude Database

I have a working model using Google Maps but may data is not accurate i have downloaded a few free databases and they are all in-accurate.

Does anybody know where i get a database that holds postcode data with longitude and latitude, i need to map it into a database for healthcare as i only have postcode.

The Government have started to release such files but Ordnance Survey are looking after it and only seem to offer an API does Qlikview support it?

Thanks

9 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hello,

I've just downloaded FRANCE cities here :

http://www.geopostcodes.com/

Price is fair (€ 29) and data accurate

Not applicable
Author

For UK postcodes the OS data is now available as a download - you want "Code-Point Open" from this link.

I'm going to build a qlikview which will load in the data sets (and hopefully the metadata) to save as a qvd to import into other qlikviews.

Not applicable
Author

Unfortunately the "Open Space" data contains Northings and Eastings instead of Latitude and Longitude. This makes integration with Google maps very different unless you convert between the two.

Conversion is possible, but it's very complicated. The OS offer a spreadsheet which contains formula, so you can bulk convert the points you are interested in, but it's not as accurate as we might like.

So, we're waiting for either the OS data to include accurate lat / long info, or for a google maps type solution which supports northings & eastings (the free OS online map works through a full api rather than the static way that the google map works - so is harder or impossible? to integrate into Qlikview).

Not applicable
Author

i just posted this one for someone in another thread

http://www.freemaptools.com/download/postcodes/postcodes.csv

Not applicable
Author

whoops sorry, just checked and it only has the outcode (1st part)

wondered why it was so small.

sorry again

Not applicable
Author

Try generating a CSV file from the API tool at:

It's basically the Code Point Open OS postcode database, but with the long & lat added. Useful if you're a novice like me. I used a the 'search near' option and a midlands postcode to generate a CSV of all postcodes, long and lats within 1000 of birmingham (i.e. all mainland UK) and it's worked a treat.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Edroch,

Are you able to post that data here? I have a feeling my browser's about to time out...

Thanks,

Jason

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jason,

The file is too large for me to upload to the forum. Feel free to drop me an email ( edroch@gmail.com ) and I'll forward it on.

Ed

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Thanks Ed - I actually managed to get it to work in the end. Fantastic resource!

Jason