Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Two Qlikview Servers with different Versions

We have two seperate installations of Qlikview Server. Version 8.5 is used in our European location and 9.0 used in the USA.

We have users who need to access reports on both servers.

We are using the IE plug-in client for access. Is it possible to use one version of the plugin for both servers?

12 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Sure, you can use the latest version (9.0 SR4) which is backwards-compatible with 8.5.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Vlad - thanks for the quick reply! I was told by someone else it was not possible (so I am glad to hear this!).

Tell Phil I said hello 🙂

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

No problem. And will do 🙂

The only thing to keep in mind is that if you have enabled 8.5 to prompt to auto-install the plugin if it's not installed, it will prompt 9.0 users to install the 8.5 plugin because it does not recognize this future version. However, if you cancel out of the installation it will still work fine. So I would recommend disabling the auto-install prompt in 8.5.

Cheers,

Not applicable
Author

Hi again,

We don't have the auto-install enabled so I think we are ok there.

It seems, my server plugin in the US is version: version=9.00.7000.0

So, do you think I just need to update the US server plugin to version 9.4?

Sandra

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Well, I have never heard of v9.00.7000. The first release of 9.0 was 7119. So I'm not sure what this version is, but it should probably still be backwards compatible with 8.5. However, I would highly recommend upgrading to SR4 (release 7469) because several key bugs specifically relating to IE Plugin backwards-compatibility were resolved.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Yes, I'm not completely certain how to tell what the plug in version is, I pulled this out of the Plugin directory from one of the setup files....

I will look into upgrading....now before we go live with this. I haven't been through a Qlikview Upgrade - it looks like a complete uninstall and a re-install... is it relatively straightforward?

Thanks,

Sandra

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

If you're just upgrading the Plugin it's even easier than that--just install it on top of any existing installations and it will automatically overwrite the earlier version.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Vlad -

Our users install the plugin from the link on the Access Point. Do you think I can just overwrite the existing plug in setup files on the server and when they click the "download plugin" link it will install the newer version?

I am now thinking that perhaps I should just Upgrade the whole server to 9.4, but I've got such a limited amount of time before we go live, I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Have you done the 9.4 upgrade? Is it very difficult?

S.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

It's not difficult to upgrade to SR4, but I would recommend you try it on a DEV box before you do it on the PROD box. That's just good policy. And, yes, if you download it from the AP link it should overwrite it too. You can stay on your current version of Server, just replace the executable C:\Program Files\QlikView\Server\QvClients\QvPlugin\QvPluginSetup.exe with the SR4 version. I personally don't like the link on top so I've written a little script that will automatically prompt a user to install the latest version. See this page: http://naturalsynergies.com/content.php?page=28. You would just need to replace "var _ = new ActiveXObject("QlikTech.QlikOcxCtrl");" with "var _ = new ActiveXObject("QlikTech.QlikOcxCtrl.9");"