Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Expression not linked to table dimensions >> separated from the selection forced by dimensions

Hi to everyone!

I have a syntax doubt. I want to know what can I do so the dimensions of a pivot table do not force a selection to the expression of the table. I searched in the community but I couldn't find anything that helps me.

I have to situations with a pivot table (which has 2 dimensions and 1 expression) where I want the expression only to be conditioned by one of the dimensions. Or say it in another way that the expression of the table is afected only by the selection one of the dimensions and excluded from the other. I don't know if I have expressed myself, so I write you one of this situations as example,

Dimensions:

- Client ranking (Using an expression)

- Product Grouping Attribute

Expression:

- Sells Percentage of the Client in each group (each value of the attribute). To do so I want to divide the Sells of the Client by the Sells of all the product group. The Sells of the Client would be: Sum(Sells) and the table dimensions would do the rest, but the syntax for the Sells of all the group... I don't know, because the table dimensions force the selection.

I can't use Sum{Total Sells} because I don't want all the Sells, and I've tried expressions where I add values to the actual selection (Like: Sum({$<[Product Group]={"*"}>Sells),... ), but the dimension selections prevail. I've also tried other expressions with {1} but I couldn't get selection

Can any one help me?

Have a nice day and thanks in advance for your time and dedication! [:)]

Josep

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I couldn't figure out on brief glance which of these you want, but I think you want one of these expressions:

sum(Sell)/sum(total <Client> Sell)
sum(Sell)/sum(total <Group> Sell)

If I'm off base, I'll have to read the question more carefully. Wink

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Sounds to me like you should use the AGGR function because this forces the expression to move outside of the dimensions of the chart.

An example:

= SUM ( AGGR ( SUM ( Sells ) , ClientRanking ) )

Let me know if it helps.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Nigel,

First of all, I want to point out that the Ranking is not for all the Clients but only the top 100.

if(aggr(Rank(Sum(Sells),1),Client)<101,Client)

And now I'm going to explain you my guessing of your intention: Becasue I want the Sells of each client relative to all the sells in the group (not only the ones of the sells of the top 100 clients in the group), I changed your expression for:

= SUM ( AGGR ( SUM ( Sells ) , Client ) )

And it didn't work...

One question that came to my mind, by saying the AGGR forces the expression to move outside of the dimensions of the chart, do you mean ALL the dimensions of the chart or only the one you're AGGRing?

And of course, any more ideas? Stick out tongue

Not applicable
Author

AGGR will go outside of ALL dimensions of the chart, which is why you should put the dimensions back into the AGGR function if you want to use them.

Can you post a sample app so I can take a look?

Not applicable
Author

Ok! here goes the sample app!

Not applicable
Author

Sorry, I thought this would be an easy one! Just shows how wrong you can be.

There is of course the slightest chance that I'm being a complete numpty this afternoon and I'm missing something obvious, this seems like such a simple thing you'd want to do.

ANYBODY ELSE PLEASE!!!

Not applicable
Author

Jajaja, I feel the same so... don't worry Wink

Come on colleagues out there!... Help!

Those of you with TOP 50 or less... You can teach a TOP 25!! Surprise

And those of you with TOP 25 or more... Show why do you have this status!! Smile

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I couldn't figure out on brief glance which of these you want, but I think you want one of these expressions:

sum(Sell)/sum(total <Client> Sell)
sum(Sell)/sum(total <Group> Sell)

If I'm off base, I'll have to read the question more carefully. Wink

Not applicable
Author

John

I never knew you could do that, the second one is the correct one, gives exactly the answer I was trying to find.

Thanks for hopping in on this one.

Not applicable
Author

My neither! Thanks John! Smile

(I was making experiments with my new knowledge)