Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

QlikViewServer - how to track it over Christmas

Hi,

we have a very current problem here:

Probably because of our version of QlikViewServer - we don't know for sure - it repeatedly stops altogether - no more reloads are executed until we restart it all. A ticket with QlikTech is open because of this, but I guess we'll just have to upgrade to the newest version.

The issue is, that won't be done until we have a cconsultant on site which in turn won't happen before the end of January.

Now the Christmas holidays are approaching and the two of us - we only have two QlikView_developers - are out for a while.

Moreover, when the QlikView_Server stops altogether, the emails sent by the QMC about reload_failures are not triggered, so unless someone actually looks at the QMC, nobody will notice.

I think we'll have to insert someone else into the group of "QlikView_administrators" so that he will be able to look at the QMC.

Does anyone know another way we could do that?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

22 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

We do not have the publisher and do not need the distribution-service.

But you should be able to extract service-name from the running tasks

Peter

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

i agree with Peter that monitoring QV with QV is not always a good idea. I published a blog post a few years back on the topic:

http://qlikviewcookbook.com/2010/09/monitoring-the-reload-schedule/

I take a two pronged approach.

1. The FileAgeMonitor is a qvw app that monitors that qvws are being updated as expected.

2. I use Servers Alive Server monitoring tools | Monitoring network software to check the filetime of the FileAgeMonitor.qvw (or another app) as an external monitor in case all QV reloads fail. Servers Alive is free for small installations, but you can use any monitor that's capable of doing a filetime check,

-Rob

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Rob,

I think a small "error_app" is enough to check if the QlikView_Server is still working:

=> I have a small app with a built-in error that must fail every time it is reloaded

=> I will schedule that for reload every hour

=> When those emails from the QlikView_Server stop arriving, we know there is probably something wrong with the
      QlikView_Server.