Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

BG color expression with set analysis?

Should I expect set analysis to work inside a background color expression for each row of a chart?

Per an answer from John W (http://community.qlik.com/message/175445#175445😞
  A set is calculated for an entire chart, not for a row of the chart.  The same is true of dollar sign expansion. 

I'm using the following BG color expression.  I artificially set the limit to 0.  Since none of my values are less than 0, I expected green background, but I'm getting all red background.  See the below image:

=IF(

(sum({< PeriodType = {'Y'}, ValueType = {'nCOS'} >} Value) / sum({< PeriodType = {'Y'}, ValueType = {'InvValue'} >} Value)) > 0, $(vGoodColor),

$(vPoorColor)

)

Each of the values in the below table (straight table) are generated by a set analysis expression for different years and product groups.

Capture.PNG

John

11.2, SR4

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Rob,

Thank you.  That debugging hint helped a lot.

Using the below, I get the ever popular '-', which indicates an aggregation issue.

(sum({< PeriodType = {'Y'}, ValueType = {'nCOS'} >} Value) /

sum({< PeriodType = {'Y'}, ValueType = {'InvValue'} >} Value)) > 0

And that lead me to add in the FYear parameter, which then gives me the colors I expect.

=IF(

(sum({< PeriodType = {'Y'}, ValueType = {'nCOS'},    FYear ={"$(=(max(FYear)-1))"} >} Value) /

sum({< PeriodType = {'Y'}, ValueType = {'InvValue'}, FYear ={"$(=(max(FYear)-1))"} >} Value)) >= GoalTurns, $(vGoodColor),

$(vPoorColor)

)

Now to work that into the rest of my BG equations.

JLR

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi John,

is there a reason by the standard visual cues setting in the chart would not work for you? You can still use your colour variables too but it will be evaluated across each row

visual cues.png

hope that helps

Joe

Not applicable
Author

Joe,

per an older response (2010): ( Search for "Visual cues in table using set analysis")

"Visual cue expressions are evaluated on a global level, not on a row by row basis, to do that you should use the color subexpressions."

And I tried using Visual Cues - I was not able to get a per-row, per column to work.

If I use just numbers in the visual cue's entry boxes, I get the expected color changes, but when I use attributes, it does not work.

Edit: Also, I need to apply the same sort of background color to bar charts and Visual Cues is not available for bar charts.

John

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Your Sum(Value) will be executed row by row, so it should work. What do you get if you paste just the

(sum({< PeriodType = {'Y'}, ValueType = {'nCOS'} >} Value) / sum({< PeriodType = {'Y'}, ValueType = {'InvValue'} >} Value)) > 0

in an expression column?

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Rob,

Thank you.  That debugging hint helped a lot.

Using the below, I get the ever popular '-', which indicates an aggregation issue.

(sum({< PeriodType = {'Y'}, ValueType = {'nCOS'} >} Value) /

sum({< PeriodType = {'Y'}, ValueType = {'InvValue'} >} Value)) > 0

And that lead me to add in the FYear parameter, which then gives me the colors I expect.

=IF(

(sum({< PeriodType = {'Y'}, ValueType = {'nCOS'},    FYear ={"$(=(max(FYear)-1))"} >} Value) /

sum({< PeriodType = {'Y'}, ValueType = {'InvValue'}, FYear ={"$(=(max(FYear)-1))"} >} Value)) >= GoalTurns, $(vGoodColor),

$(vPoorColor)

)

Now to work that into the rest of my BG equations.

JLR

Not applicable
Author

I think that quote is a little misleading John, visual cue will evaluate on the expression values broken down by the dimension(s) present within your chart, so if your expression was just

sum({< PeriodType = {'Y'}, ValueType = {'nCOS'} >} Value) / sum({< PeriodType = {'Y'}, ValueType = {'InvValue'} >} Value))

you could use them with no problem, rather than a colour expression (which should give better performance I believe due to less expressions) and it would highlight accordingly for each dimension value.

If you are looking for a different evaluation based on some other expression though, then yes of course would need to use the colour expression for that (or as you say within a different chart type) I totally agree.