Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stop reloads from refreshing documents in use

Currently, we have our qlikview documents reloading on external event  - triggered from EDX from a sql server when the data is refreshed. Data is continually being loaded into the database which triggers the reloads often - sometimes as frequently as every minute. This keeps the documents with the most recent data. The issue we have is if a user has a document open, they continually get a message stating "updating please try again" which can cause frustration while a document is being used.

What settings should I have in the Qlikview Management Console and on the document so that once a user has a document open, it will not be refreshed with reloaded data?

Currently I have set the following in QMC and the document itself:

QMC_Documents.jpg

doc_settings.jpg

I'm not sure where or what combination of settings I should have to prevent this.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

9 Replies
Colin-Albert

You could control this is the load script rather than from the QMC.

On completion of your load script write a qvd file that contains the current timestamp.

Then when your reload starts, first load the timestamp QVD and compare the timestamp  to the current time, If the data was reloaded in the past N minutes, the call Exit Script to abort the reload task until next triggered.

The exit will not cause the timestamp qvd to update.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Colin but it's not that I don't want the reloaded data - when a reload starts it is because I have new data and anyone who accesses the document should have data that is as up to date as possible.

I have a document that is accessible to multiple users - they all have access to the same data. I have data coming into our database - as an example - a new sale every few minutes. We go through the database process to load the data with the appropriate information and then when that is done the EDX is triggered to load the data into the qlikview document.

I have user A who has opened the document at 10:00 am - and starts to do analysis on the data in the document.

New data comes in 5 minutes later triggering a refresh.

I have user B who now opens the document at 10:10 am - this document would contain the new data but the document that user A has open would not.

How can I have multiple copies of the document open with the data that was there when the user opened the document - as well as stop the "updating please try again" message that is triggered by refreshes of the data?

Colin-Albert

Hi Cary,

Your users should be able to view the app without being interrupted by reloads, the reload can run transparently in the background.

Which settings have been set on the document properties, server page?

Is the QMC settings to only allow one copy of the document in memory?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I put the screenshots of those settings in the original post.

In the QMC, it is set to only allow one copy of the document in memory,

On the document - server page

Refresh Mode when Document is Updated on Server:

Client initiates refresh. If old data is not kept on server or client too old,refresh will be performed automatically.

Client Refresh Initiation Mode:

Indicate with toolbar button.

A question - how do I know if old data is not kept on server - what setting would keep old data there?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Uncheck "allow only one copy of the document in memory". That setting causes the reloaded document to replace all sessions.

-Rob

prees959
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Rob,

Similar to this problem. Our users are starting to get the 'Updating' dialogue box when making selections in an application.  Strange thing is, nothing is being refreshed in the background.....  It's only been happening during the last week or so and becoming more common.

Also, we also have "allow only one copy of the document in memory" unchecked...

Any thoughts / advice greatly appeciated.

Phil

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

We experienced that with QlikView 11.20 due to objects exceeding the calculation time. If there is a chart or sheet where it usually happens, but not overall, that could be the reason.

prees959
Creator II
Creator II

Hi,

Will moving to v12 solve this?

Phil

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Not unless there is a bug which specifically affects your situation or your expression issue (if there is one). If it's due to load, although 12 improves performance, it's not in all cases or with any type of expression.

I still think moving to 12 will give you better performance overall.

Anyway, to be completely sure, log a case with Qlik Support and they can tell you whether it is something in the bug fix list (which you can also check in the release notes of each version) or something more environment related.