Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

ODBC Read Failed Part II

I have a problem in the Desktop Application. I have two stored procedures that get called. Both work fine in SQL Server Management Studio. I get a ODBC Read Failed Error for one of them. I think the problem stems from using an ODBC driver on my 32-bit development environment calling a stored procedure on SQL Server 2008 64-bit. We just went through a migration from SQL Server 2000 32 bit to SQL Server 2008 64-bit. All of my stored procedures that were written prior to the migration work fine, but a new one that I just created does not. I get a ODBC Read Error in QlikView. I think it has something to do with when the stored procedures were compiled. Our technicians restored a backup from the SQL Server 2000 to the SQL Server 2008. I think in doing it that way the old stored procedures weren't recompiled. I did some digging and found SQL error codes, but they don't have a Read Error. So is this issue an ODBC issue or a QlikView issue?

Here's the link to SQL error Codes.

Allen

5 Replies
mike_garcia
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hello Allen,

I had the same problem once and it was because the user & password were not embedded in the connection string. Did you check that?

Did you try with OLEDB?

Regards,

Mike.

Miguel García
Qlik Expert, Author and Trainer
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I had this error message. The problem turned out to be with the SQL statement delivered through OCBC to Oracle. I had a duplicate attribute names ( ie select region, office, agent, duration, region from mytable; ) in the SQL statement.

My question would be "does ODBC really return ODBC Read Failed" or does QV generate this message.

Not applicable
Author

My experience with this error is usually caused by my query having double field names or aliases (or forgetting to disconnect a VPN in which case it is a true ODBC error).  You might want to remove the field names and replace with * or all to check the ODBC connectivity, if that works then add 1 field into the query and reloading, add a 2nd field into the query and reload, etc.  When it errors out you'll know which line is causing the error.  (Along the same lines you could leave all of your fields in the query and insert a bogus character (like a !) at the end of a line then reload. If you get a syntax error you'll know the issue is not before the ! , but after. Keep moving the ! until you get the ODBC error.)

Sarah

Not applicable
Author

I have encountered this error when selecting the same column twice, so check for that as well.  While it worked in my database GUI, it causes errors with ODBC.

Not applicable
Author

I just got the "same column name twice" issue.... man what a pain