Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Blank space above the scale (inside a chart)

Hi,

I have just introduced a layout change in one of my charts (barchart)

=> Instead of displaying the total of five types of costs, I have the barchart stacked now so I can display the segments representing all
     five individual cost_factors and the total nr. on top

<=> Now, however, I notice that at some point in that process (I'm going to redo it step by step now to find out exactly when) I have a lot of blank space inside the charting_area - but above the maximum of the y-axis - that goes up to 140k, and above that there are approx. 5cm ...

Can anybody tell me what can be the reason for that?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

9 Replies
Not applicable

Hi DataNibbler.

Can you please kindly send your data sample. Thanx

Dlamini

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I have found out it seemingly is connected to one formula for which there is no data:

=> There are two columns (or stacks such as I have it now), one for the previous_month and one for the
      previous_week - there is no data for the previous_week.

=> I have six formulas making up the column for the previous_week and with every one the blank space grows a
      little ...

Not applicable

I am happy that your issue is resolved

Kind regards

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Siyabonga,

well, it's not quite resolved - not at all actually. I merely think I know what is the reason, even if I have no idea why it happens.

More precisely:

- Up to now I used to have only one column for the total of those five types of costs - blank space above was 0.

- Now I have that divided into five stacked segments and with the nr. of segments´, that space increases.

(I have the same issue in another chart where there are now two stacked segments - the blank space there is less, but there is some - which is not there if I disregard that difference and have just one undivided column ...

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

can nobody think of the reason for this?

I guess it must be that QlikView automatically adds some "overhead" space-wise for every segment of a column:

- There is no space above the charting_area when the column is all in one piece.

- With a column made up of two stacked segments, there is some blank space, but not much.

- With a column made up of five stacked segments, the blank space takes up nearly half the total height of the
   object.

marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

I think you will find the reason only if you reduced your chart maximal to one dimension and one expression and adds it step by step. But before try to set the max. values for the scale manually (maybe by expression to count/sum the max. - for each expression ?) and look if you could adjust the chart-parts per mouse (press ctrl+shift to reach the red-lines inside the chart).

- Marcus

Not applicable

Hey DataNibber

Please kindly send us your data sample.

Best Regards

Dlamini

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

please find attached a small sample xls file and the qvw with the chart I mean. As it is, the columns are undivided, all in one piece.

When you deactivate those expressions and activate the specific ones (for the two types of damages) instead, you'll notice that some blank space is introduced - not much, but that will be more with every additional segment.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Not applicable

Nibbler my frend I don't see any attachment. I am sorry for such a delay to your issues.

Best Regards

Dlamini.