Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to grey out all list box selections?

I want to grey out every selection possible in a list box, and not just set the list box to "read only", which doesn't allow any selections to be made in the list box, but keeps the selections colored white. I want to give the user the impression that the list box selections aren't selectable by being grey.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Be careful what you wish for...

Making it grey gives user impression that these values are excluded by other selections, not the impression that they are not selectable.  It is not the same.  You probably want something else, but I'm not sure what exactly...

Not applicable
Author

I understand what you mean, but I think users will be less confused by those selections being greyed out as soon as they activate the sheet they're on, rather than any other options I can think of.

I don't want to leave the list box and when the user selects a selection nothing happens. They'd probably think something was broken. I don't want to remove the list box, all of my other sheets have the exact same list box layout. My team and I concluded that greying out every selection in the list box was the best, easiest, simplest to understand option.

Thank you for making a valid point though!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

OK then...  Try this:

Replace the list box with the straight table, dimension is your field name, expression is only({1} your field name).  Name of the expression is the name of the field.  Hide column dimension and the header.  No totals.  By using background attribute expression, make it grey.  May text color white.  And, read-only of course.

Hope it will help - will not confuse your users...

Not applicable
Author

Not too bad. Thank you for the suggestion, Michael.

The only gripe I have about this solution is that with WebView turned off, the straight table chart looks almost identical to the list boxes. When I turn WebView on things begin looking slightly different. It's not a huge problem, if that's the only way anyone suggests, I will use it. I just assumed there was an expression I can use to 'auto deselect' my selections from this list box.

Thank you very much!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Well, another solution is to use a calculated list box:

aggr(only({1} Filed),Field)

and cover it with a semitransparent grey text box to prevent user clicking.  But I like it less because of the extra object

Not applicable
Author

Thank you. I will use this method actually. This way I can get my list boxes to look exactly the same, pixel perfect etc.

I appreciate the help thinking outside of the list box, as it were.