Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to let users make selections from spreadsheets/lists?

Hi everybody,

I have received a few requests by our access point users stating that they would like to be able to create a spreadsheet with user ids on their own workstation and then make a selection at the qlikview access point based on that spreadsheet. These users are to be considered non-technical users without qlikview development tools or knowledge. Is there a convenient way to do this?

4 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Use the search string of a listbox to paste selections from Excel. The chosen UserIDs must appear on one line and be separated by spaces. You can use the various search string operators to enter more complex searches (ranges, wildcards, combinations of searches and stuff).

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, but only one of those applications actually managed to get a selection in the end and that was on the condition that the data was comma separated without spaces. Is there any way to script it such that the users need only make a selection in their spreadsheet program of choice (e.g. excel) and then paste the data into the qv-application, press a button and get a selection?

I guess that means I need to add code for replacing all whitespace with commas, but I can't seem to get the replace statement to work well with whitespace.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I think it will be easier to roll out an Excel macro that concatenates the cell selection, adds whatever separator is needed and copies the result to the clipboard. Then in the search field, users will use Paste (or Ctrl-V) to enter their selection and press Enter. Not too much work.

I would not advise you to try to create a QV macro, as this stuff fis highly QV server- and client-dependent.