Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Does reloading qlikview dashboard manually takes more memory than reloading via QMC?

Hi,

I wanted to know if reloading qlikview dashboard manually (via your username) on the development server takes more memory (there are other developers also logged into the same development machine) than reloading it via QMC.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Janaki

12 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

What is the process that is eating up all the memory? Could this be caused by a poorly designed data structure?

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I would suggest your developers work on a seperate server to that running the QlikView Server Windows services.

They should then be able to connect into it with RDP.  Developers by definition do things that are initially untested and an accidental Cartesian Join can gobble up RAM, other things can chew up CPU.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Well, I can see where this is going, and IMHO it's not the solution that fixes all - it never will be.

Imagine what happens when developers on their own system start kicking each other out of the development RDP sessions because of their continued behavior that caused them to be thrown out of the actual QA platform in the first place. Add to this the fact that in many regions, (unproductive) developer time is very - I say, very - expensive.

The logic goes a long way: each QVS system (PROD and QA) suddenly starts a fight for resources with QDS. So you split them off. In the end you have 5 or more systems where 2 with a decent amount of cores, RAM and common sense should be sufficient.

It think operating a QlikView Enterprise solution should be a balanced.act: 1. proper configuration, 2. continued platform monitoring and management and 3. discipline. Without the latter in the form of a set of sound rules, every architecture will lead to a complete lock-up sooner or later. And as you said before in another comparable discussion on the same subject, Janaki: you can't keep adding RAM, CPU's or entire systems to the setup forever. At least not without decent scaling & sizing arguments.

One final tip: try to eliminate everything that is unpredictable. The cost of adding a QlikView document or developer should be known before they arrive on the scene. It will make it easier for you to plan (and budget) the growth of your QlikView environment.

Some background information for this post can be found here:

http://community.qlik.com/thread/148298

http://community.qlik.com/thread/148299