Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Treemap vs Block Chart

Can anybody tell me the difference between a Treemap (Qlik Sense) and a Block Chart (QlikView)?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Same thing.

I think that the name "treemap" is more common.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Same thing.

I think that the name "treemap" is more common.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot Michael! Exactly what I was guessing

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

"Treemap" is the most common name in English for this chart type. The reason it is called this way is that it originally was used to show hierarchies; tree structures.

When we introduced this chart for version 7, we considered calling it "Treemap", but chose to call it "Block chart" instead. Partly because "Treemap" is poor name (from a descriptive point), partly because the chart often is used for structures that are not tree-like.

For Qlik Sense we have chosen to call it "Treemap", since this is the accepted name in English, and we wanted to be conform with the standard terminology. However, this change does not necessarily mean that translations into other languages should change.

HIC

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot Henric!

I know that Treemap is actually the accepted, most common, standard name, but in my language this has been poorly translated as "Mapa de árbol" or alternatively "Diagrama de árbol", two terms that mislead the user as they can be easily confused with other kinds of visualizations that are very common, so I have decided to stick to the old name which has worked very well in the Spanish market and is so clear and descriptive. We prefer to keep our identity with the Block Chart if you don't mind!

Many thanks,

Teresa

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

I think that this is a good decision. If "Gráfico de Bloques" works in Spanish, you should continue to use this term.

HIC

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot for confirming!