Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Line Chart Unfiltered Dimension

Dear Community,

I am trying to have a fixed x-axis (time) and I would like to show only the data that is selected in the graph but not change the x-axis. At the same time I want to be able to select a date on the axis.

This is done by:

Sum({1}IF(Match(YEAR([ChartDateTime]), $(=GetFieldSelections([Jahr])) ),[PO value (custom)]))

and works fine.

However, I also want to show all data if nothing is selected.

I tried:

If(GetSelectedCount([Jahr])>0,

Sum({1}IF(Match(YEAR([ChartDateTime]), $(=GetFieldSelections([Jahr])) ),[PO value (custom)])),

Sum({1}[PO value (custom)])

)

But for some reason it doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

GetFieldSelections returns null if nothing is selected, the $(=...) returns an empty string, so you have a syntax error. The expression works if something is selected, because then there is no syntax error.

You could try something like

Sum({1}IF(Index(YEAR([ChartDateTime]), '$(=Concat(DISTINCT ([Jahr])))'), [PO value (custom)])),

)

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

GetFieldSelections returns null if nothing is selected, the $(=...) returns an empty string, so you have a syntax error. The expression works if something is selected, because then there is no syntax error.

You could try something like

Sum({1}IF(Index(YEAR([ChartDateTime]), '$(=Concat(DISTINCT ([Jahr])))'), [PO value (custom)])),

)

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Thank you, Jonathan!

Do you know if there might be a way to improve the performance of this task?

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It's pretty hard to make specific suggestions without sight of your model and data.

Some general points to consider:

• Be aware that QV appears not to optimise or shortcut expressions, so both legs of the if clause may be recalculated every time you make selections
  • Sum(If()) statements perform poorly on large data sets. Consider refactoring the expressions using set analysis (you would need a Year field for example)
  • If the model structure means that the fields in these expressions come from different tables, consider flattening your table structure

HTH

Jonathan