Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

how to restrict dimension best practice?

good day!

I've got 3 mln rows in fact table and 200 rows in dimension table "balance_dim" linking by sort of account field

I want to make a sheet in my app dedicated to "loans" from whole "balance_dim"

"loans" are only 80 rows from 200 rows of "balance_dim", and I do not want  users see unneeded rows in filter

Is it normal to make one more dimension "loans_dim" with 80 rows in it and use it, and how about 4-5 dimensions like this, e.g. "deposits_dim" or "P&L_dim"

Please, help me!

In MS PowerPivot I can make disconnected table, and use it as a slicer, directly coding how table/chart should respond when user clicks something in a slicer

thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

If you want to have Filter Panels with limited lists of the Dimension values, without creating separate fields in the script, you could use Advanced Aggregation and Set Analysis. Something like this:

=aggr(

only(     {$<Type={Loans}>}   Account )

, Account)

This will filter out only the Accounts that are Loans.

To Michael's point, the performance might be better if you created extra fields. You can try it both ways and decide for yourself.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

www.masterssummit.com - take your QlikView skills to the next level!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ecolomer
Master II
Master II

You can reduce the data thought option in document conf.

Not applicable
Author

thank you

but it is not the Qlik Sense

ecolomer
Master II
Master II

I',m sorry

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes, it is normal to create additional "restricted" dimensions in the script.  An alternative is to use calculated dimensions, but from the performance point it's better to have actual fields.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

To remove values that are not having any transaction row we can use the Left Keep() like below

loans:

LOAD

FROM loans;

LEFT Keep(loans)

LOAD

FROM balance_dim;

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

thank you!

Not applicable
Author

thank you!

what do you think:

1. 5-6 additional "restricted" dimensions in the script

2. 5-6 additional fields in "balance_dim", like "loans" or "deposits" and so on

and if I've got 300 rows in  "balance_dim" then in the field "loans" would be 80 rows with flag and 220 rows with Null

when I would work with a dedicated list "loans" in my app my measures, like Sum may be like

aggr ... loans_flag

please!

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

If you want to have Filter Panels with limited lists of the Dimension values, without creating separate fields in the script, you could use Advanced Aggregation and Set Analysis. Something like this:

=aggr(

only(     {$<Type={Loans}>}   Account )

, Account)

This will filter out only the Accounts that are Loans.

To Michael's point, the performance might be better if you created extra fields. You can try it both ways and decide for yourself.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

www.masterssummit.com - take your QlikView skills to the next level!

varaprasad0816
Creator II
Creator II

This is correct. working fine 

thanks