Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmstephenson
Creator
Creator

macro to create drill-down groups

Hi All,

I have 2 or 4 variables for each provider specialty (~50) that I would like to use in a drill down group (2 drill down groups per specialty). For example, a simplified version:

variables for cardiology, endocrinology, and neurology:

specialty: cardiology

var_a_car_tax_desc

var_a_car_npi_desc

var_b_car_dept_desc

var_b_car_prov_desc

specialty: endocrinology

var_a_end_tax_desc

var_a_end_npi_desc

var_b_end_dept_desc

var_b_end_prov_desc

specialty:neurology

var_a_neu_tax_desc

var_a_neu_npi_desc

I want to create the drill-down groups: Cardiology - A, Cardiology - B, Endocrinology - A, Endocrinology - B, and Neurology - A (+ for all other specialties not in example). As you can see by the example, most specialties have both the 2 var_a's and 2 var_b's available but some specialties may only have 2 var_a's available or 2 var_b's available. I have a lookup table that maps the specialty abbreviation in the variable names (car, end, neu) to the specialty. I would like to use this, concatenated with - A or - B as the drill down group name. The drill down groups themselves will look like this:

- A

=IF(var_a_car_tax_desc<>'',var_a_car_tax_desc)

=IF(var_a_car_npi_desc<>'',var_a_car_npi_desc)

- B

=IF(var_b_car_dept_desc<>'',var_a_car_dept_desc)

=IF(var_b_car_prov_desc<>'',var_a_car_prov_desc)

I would like to be able to use a macro and loop to create the - A and - B groups for all specialties (variable naming convention is the same). How should I go about this?

1 Reply
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hmm, this is a very much open question... Generally speaking, you need to find a copy  of the APIGuide.QVW, and search for the APIs that can be used for generating groups.

Then, you should program your logic in the VBScript macro, retrieve all the necessary variables and use the values in the process of generating groups.

I'm confident that it can be done, but unless someone has done it already, it would be much more work than most experts would be willing to invest...

If you haven't done much with Macro development, I'd highly recommend engaging a developer who is experienced in developing QlikView Macros.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

www.masterssummit.com