Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

qlikview shared file backup

Hi,

Our shared files in qlikview server often get corrupted and then all the customers bookmarks are lost. We are currently taking backups for last ten days and the Qlikview backups are already taking 200 GB space

I would like to take the shared file backups for past three months as these files are quite small. Sometimes, our customers realize too late that the bookmarks are not working and then we do not have the sharedfile backup anymore because it cannot be recovered from past 10 days backups

One easy way for this I believe would be to keep the shared files in some separate folder and then keep taking its snapshots.I don't want to backup the whole user documents folder because it contains qlikview files and they are quite heavy and three months backup will take space in TBs

My question: Is it possible to keep the shared files for all documents in some separate folder or in a sub folder inside userdocuments so that its easier for us to take backup of only one folder with shared files only?

If someone has a better solution, kindly suggest to me as well, as this is becoming quite a bit problem for us as the shared file often gets corrupted

Regards

Shah

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Maybe you could use an approach this http://community.qlik.com/message/11098#11098 extended to a folder/subfolder logic. Also you could try some repair from shared-files with power tools: PowerTools 1.1 for QlikView.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Note that you could make use of the Shared file cleaning TOOL that is built into the QVS executable since a while. This tool lets you verify Shared file integrity & correctness and clean out whateve is corrupt. It may not solve your backup problem. But at least it will let you know without delay when something is definitely wrong with any of the shared files if run on a regular basis. It will be sufficient to restore the previous days backup, and you can keep your current 10-day backup strategy.

For more information, see the QlikView 11.20SR10 Release Notes, Chapter 16 (last one).

View solution in original post

4 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi Syed,

I am not aware of such a possibility - that would be handy for us as well - splitting out the SHARED files is not an issue for us, but the LOG files would be practical - but I don't know how. As far as I know, it's in the QlikView_code and cannot be changed easily.

You could use a macro or batch instead to parse the folder and move all the SHARED files into another folder prior to backing them up. Would that work?

HTH

best regards,

DataNibbler

marcus_sommer

Maybe you could use an approach this http://community.qlik.com/message/11098#11098 extended to a folder/subfolder logic. Also you could try some repair from shared-files with power tools: PowerTools 1.1 for QlikView.

- Marcus

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Something like this?

@echo off

xcopy /S C:\DocumentRoot\*.Shared C:\Temp\Backup\

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Note that you could make use of the Shared file cleaning TOOL that is built into the QVS executable since a while. This tool lets you verify Shared file integrity & correctness and clean out whateve is corrupt. It may not solve your backup problem. But at least it will let you know without delay when something is definitely wrong with any of the shared files if run on a regular basis. It will be sufficient to restore the previous days backup, and you can keep your current 10-day backup strategy.

For more information, see the QlikView 11.20SR10 Release Notes, Chapter 16 (last one).