Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramonarcusa36
Contributor III
Contributor III

Why does QlikView freeze after two minutes of inactivity?

Hey guys.

We've been working thoroughly for months in improving our QlikView app's performance. Our biggest app weighs around 3 GB, and contains 25-30 millions of rows in its fact table. It's getting slower and slower as time goes by.

Today, I just wanted to let you know (and hope for your always great feedback) something we've been realizing lately. We planned to build it from scratch: we've created a new document just copying our big app's script and we've added just one chart, and a couple of expressions at a time to test its performance (no formatting efforts at all). The fewer expressions it has, the better he works (obviously, isn't it?), but what surprises us the most is that no matter how many expressions we have, it freezes for a while after keeping him untouched for a couple of minutes. Just a couple or three minutes! These are the steps to try to reproduce this behavior: 1) Make some selections (wow, this is so fast!). 2) Get up and play with your dog for a couple of minutes (if you don't have dog around, you just can dance or sing). 3) Go back to QlikView and just open a multibox (or select any value from a listbox, hit any button, whatever)... There we go! I have to wait for 30-60 seconds for it to recover. Even with no new selections made, just opening a multibox.

This behavior doesn't occur everytime, but most of the times it does.

Do you know why this can be happening? Is it anything physical? What kind of physical things does QlikView have to do when it has two minutes "for itself"? Is it creating or destroying cache? Is it moving data between memory spaces of any kind?

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

C:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikView

There is a settings file here. What is the value for :

WorkingSetSizeLoPct=?

if it is not there at all add this under Settings 7:

WorkingSetSizeLoPct=70

reopen QV and try

View solution in original post

9 Replies
giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

this happens on the access point? What is your idle timeout? Does the same happen with other applications?

ramonarcusa36
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Sorry, I missed that important detail: this happens in QlikView Desktop and in Access Point too.

Is there any idle timeout concerning QlikView Desktop?

About other applications... they don't suffer from this, but they don't even weigh 10% of our special one, they're all very small, so I don't think we can draw conclusions about them.

Thanks Ioannis!

giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

C:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikView

There is a settings file here. What is the value for :

WorkingSetSizeLoPct=?

if it is not there at all add this under Settings 7:

WorkingSetSizeLoPct=70

reopen QV and try

ramonarcusa36
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks a lot, I'm going to try that immediately!

Are those settings appliable to Access Point? That would be great, because that's what really matters for us. All users access to QlikView through IE Plugin...

EDIT: Isn't WorkingSetSizeLoPct parameter "The minimum of the physical amount of RAM, in percentage, which can be used by an application"? (copied from QV help).

Not applicable

Very useful command - thanks for sharing

giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

yes. by default it is 20%

Setting it to 70% should help you make performance much better.

I am not sure if this can be applied on the access point somehow...

jyothish8807
Master II
Master II

Hi ramos,

I guess it depends on your RAM also, make sure not to run multiple applications simultaneously. Clear your TEMP files. It may help.

Solution suggested above is really helpful.

Regards

KC

Best Regards,
KC
ramonarcusa36
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

In QlikView Management Console, we have the Working Set parameters. We set them up this way: Low = 70%, High = 90%. I thought this had to do with when QlikView starts releasing caches and precalculated expressions because you're on your way to run out of memory.

Are you saying these parameters can also affect the way QlikView Desktop behaves? I think I don't have a Settings.ini for QlikView Desktop, I just have it on those PCs where IE Plugin is installed...

Do you guys think there can be any other reason for this behavior? Summarizing: just imagine everything goes fine, but then I don't make any interaction for a couple of minutes (approx). That idle minutes lead it to get frozen whenever I go back to it. No matter what I do, it takes 30 seconds (sometimes even more, sometimes less) just to open a Multibox.

I've been testing this thing with IE Plugin... and I don't get the same behavior. It doesn't get frozen after those 2-3 idle minutes. It has many other performance issues, but at least not this one.

ramonarcusa36
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I have found that WorkingSetSizeLoPct, in QlikView Desktop. I've gone to Help -> About, and right-click in the QlikView logo. Right there I found the value WorkingSetSizeLoPct = 20. I've changed it to 70, and it looks like it doesn't get frozen so easily.

So, it looks like QlikView was refreshing cache too often. 🙂

Thanks!