Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Create multiple dimensions from a single field/column, one per value

I'm brand new to Qlik sense, and I'm trying to create a line chart based on data for 311 calls in Austin, TX.  I loaded a spreadsheet which contains an issue type column to describe the nature of each call that was received (the type column is not freeform - each cell contains one value from a controlled set of possible values).  I'm trying to create a line chart that shows the number of calls for each type, over time (each day, over a full year).

I think this means that I need a dimension for each value that exists in the "type" field, but I don't know how to that.  I know one workaround would be to massage the data in excel (i.e. a pivot table or histograms with counts of individual "type" values across all dates), but I'm wondering if there is a way to handle this in Qlik itself.  Can you create multiple dimensions from a single field, based on the field value?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

It sounds like you are looking for a line chart with two dimensions and one expression?

When setting up your line chart add your time dimension first, in your case this seems to be date, then add a second dimension of type and lastly add your expression as the count of calls.

You should end up with something like this

2-20-2015 3-15-43 PM.png

You probably don't want to create a separate dimension for each "Type" as it will make it very difficult to filter and aggregate data.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Not applicable
Author

It sounds like you are looking for a line chart with two dimensions and one expression?

When setting up your line chart add your time dimension first, in your case this seems to be date, then add a second dimension of type and lastly add your expression as the count of calls.

You should end up with something like this

2-20-2015 3-15-43 PM.png

You probably don't want to create a separate dimension for each "Type" as it will make it very difficult to filter and aggregate data.