Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

2 section access ?

Hello,

Can there be 2 section access ?

If I want only some users to have to enter a password, and to have a limited access to data (with a filter on a field). and if I want another group of users to have access to all data without having to enter a password (section access using only ntname).

Thank you for your help,

Have a good day

Laura

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Laura,

ACCESS must be ADMIN or USER, that cannot be "*"

All the other fields in section access can use the "*" and for all of them "*" means "all listed values in the section access table, not in the field in the data model".

In regards to comparing a single person to a group, I use to do so in the script, first I load all discrete data then a SUM(Sales) so you have all data for all people and comparisons, but unable to drill down to any specific person since the data is actually aggregated. Does that make sense?

Miguel

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Laura,

You cannot have two separate tables for Section Access, but definitely you can load some users using NTNAME and some others using USERID & PASSWORD.

See examples of working code here

ntname in the section of access

Query on Section Access script

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

Thank you. So if I understand well, all I have to do is to put "*" for password and user id when I don't want the users to see the password prompt when they open the application ?

That is so cool because I  had noticed there were some bugs when in QMC, in the reload tab, I had to select section access and enter a user name and a password.. but now, all I have to do is : for the qlikview AD account that runs the application in qlikview server, I don't put any userid or password, just put * instead.

I have made some quick tests but can you confirm this, please ?

Thank you again

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Yes, that's true.

Remember that in Section Access "*" does not mean "all values" but "all values listed in section access", so for example, if you have a COUNTRY field with 20 values, you need to create a single line for each, otherwise the "*" will only apply to those values listed in the COUNTRY field of the section access table, not the data model.

Miguel

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Or put in different words:

If you have NTNAME in your section access, QlikView will first check whether or not the the user is in the list, if it is, he will have access, otherwise, QlikView will try a different method, in your case, a prompt where the user can enter the USERID and PASSWORD.

If those are valid, the user will be granted access, otherwise, since there is no other method, the user will be denied.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

Thank you again.

What you say about "*" only applies to the fields other than ACCESS, NTNAME, PASSWORD, USERID, is that true ?

Other question : In my qlikview which is destinate to let's say N salesmen,  each salesmen must be able to see the KPI about their own performance and for example in another sheet, the global performance (without being able to filter on the salesman field).  I guess I will have to create a new value "All" in the salesman field and in my section access, each salesman will have 2 lines, one for its own performance and one with "all". And then, I will use set analysis in the graphs so I don't mix up the 2 values...

or I was also thinking of create a sheet per salesman (using set analysis in each kpi in the sheet )and then use conditional show to show or hide the sheet. And with some way prevent from filtering on salesman on the global sheet.

What do you think ?

Thank you again

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Laura,

ACCESS must be ADMIN or USER, that cannot be "*"

All the other fields in section access can use the "*" and for all of them "*" means "all listed values in the section access table, not in the field in the data model".

In regards to comparing a single person to a group, I use to do so in the script, first I load all discrete data then a SUM(Sales) so you have all data for all people and comparisons, but unable to drill down to any specific person since the data is actually aggregated. Does that make sense?

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

About the data aggregation, it is clear, I understand   Thank you

As for the "*", I understand what you mean, but how does it work if I put a * in the password field ?

I have just made a test and if I enter the user id, then I am prompted for the password, I just have to let it blank and I then, can access the qlikview.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

The "*" for USERID and PASSWORD fields are inteded for when the NTNAME is the field you want to use, instead of manually type anything.

See the attached example. Obviously, your account is not DOMAIN\NAME but you can access with

ADMIN, ADMIN or

USER1, USER1.

Each USERID and PASSWORD pair are complete, they are "*" for the NTNAME line.

Miguel

hariprasadqv
Creator III
Creator III

QV wont allow 2 section access blocks. Field level security can be done by OMIT for the users.